Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 10 Updates have stalled

I am located in the UK.
    3 days ago I checked the status of Windows 10 updates on my Sony Vaio laptop.
    The status was 'Downloading Updates 1%'. 3 days later it is still 1%.
    I see no activity on my router to indicate that downloads are underway.
    I looked at the 'details' for the updates and noted the following:

At the top of the list of updates is 'Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, version 1511, 10585' - this is listed as 'Error'
    At the bottom of the list is 'Cumulative Update for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB 3015213)'.

In between these 2 items there were about 20 updates listed and most of them were 'waiting for download'; 2 were 'waiting for installation' (KB 3103688 and KB2791057).
    Most of the 'waiting for download' referred to Microsoft Office.

I've had Windows 10 installed (upgrade from Windows 8.1) since August and all previous updates have worked without a problem.

It looks like 'Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, version 1511, 10585' has failed, and maybe is preventing the succeeding updates being carried out.

I also have a Windows 7 Dell laptop on the same network, and it continues to process all updates correctly.

Can someone help me get the update process underway again?

Thanks
    Geoff

Thanks
    Go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Troubleshooting\System & Security\Fix problems with Windows Update.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ahem

Might be the same thing.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by formula400 View Post
    I am located in the UK.
    3 days ago I checked the status of Windows 10 updates on my Sony Vaio laptop.
    The status was 'Downloading Updates 1%'. 3 days later it is still 1%.
    I see no activity on my router to indicate that downloads are underway.
    I looked at the 'details' for the updates and noted the following:

At the top of the list of updates is 'Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, version 1511, 10585' - this is listed as 'Error'
    At the bottom of the list is 'Cumulative Update for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB 3015213)'.

In between these 2 items there were about 20 updates listed and most of them were 'waiting for download'; 2 were 'waiting for installation' (KB 3103688 and KB2791057).
    Most of the 'waiting for download' referred to Microsoft Office.

Thanks
    Geoff
    A similar thing happened to me.
    I went to Advanced Options on the Update and Security page and unchecked "Give me Updates for Other Microsoft Products when I update Windows"
    I was then able to download and install the Windows updates and later re-checked the button and got the Office updates.

Thanks
    The 'Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, version 1511, 10585' is the major update that's now begun to be released. If the fix doesn't work, the work around is to go to the Windows 10 download page

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softw...load/windows10

Choose the “upgrade” button. This will download Microsoft’s migration tool. This tool is loaded with the latest version of Windows 10, and will do an in-place upgrade of the OS. The process runs very much like a new install and the download is about 4Gb, so the usual disclaimer about making sure you have a good backup applies here.
    Last edited by Calimanco; 2015-11-13 at 07:45.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Calimanco View Post
    The 'Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, version 1511, 10585' is the major update that's now begun to be released. If the fix doesn't work, the work around is to go to the Windows 10 download page

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softw...load/windows10

Choose the “upgrade” button. This will download Microsoft’s migration tool. This tool is loaded with the latest version of Windows 10, and will do an in-place upgrade of the OS. The process runs very much like a new install and the download is about 4Gb, so the usual disclaimer about making sure you have a good backup applies here.
    Will he lose any programs/apps or data by using this method?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Trev View Post
    I've updated to the latest, 10586.3, on Win10 Home and Win10 Pro and the only thing lost was the Windows 7 Games apps and CPUID, just reinstalled the Games and all seems good. I don't need the CPUID now but may see if it's been updates.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    I've updated to the latest, 10586.3, on Win10 Home and Win10 Pro and the only thing lost was the Windows 7 Games apps and CPUID, just reinstalled the Games and all seems good. I don't need the CPUID now but may see if it's been updates.
    Did you update through Windows update, or download through the "upgrade" method?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Did you update through Windows update, or download through the "upgrade" method?
    Win10 Home through normal updates and Win10 Pro through the Media Creation Tool, wanted to see how that worked. When Pro finished I had 10586.0 then checking updates a couple hours later there were 2 updates available, KB3105211 and KB3103688, and I then had 10586.3.

Thanks
    Apart from one or two custom registry entries going missing, easily fixed, I had no problems with the upgrade. It took about forty minutes to complete and did so with no manual input required.

jwoods
    If the version of Windows 10 that is installed now is less than 30 days old, he could lose the ability to roll back to the previous version.

From the Windows 10 download page...

We recommend using the media creation tool on a PC running Windows 7 or Windows 8.1. If you run this tool on a PC running Windows 10, it can overwrite temporary files that are needed if you ever want to go back to your previous operating system.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    If the version of Windows 10 that is installed now is less than 30 days old, he could lose the ability to roll back to the previous version.

From the Windows 10 download page...

We recommend using the media creation tool on a PC running Windows 7 or Windows 8.1. If you run this tool on a PC running Windows 10, it can overwrite temporary files that are needed if you ever want to go back to your previous operating system.
    On one of mine it was more than 30 days old when it disappeared as has been published. Another computer got it deleted when I ran Disk Cleanup.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm picking up this thread on 15 November.

Thank you all for your replies.
    Microsoft troubleshooting could not find a problem. I rarely get a useful response from the troubleshooting.
    I was going to follow Trev’s suggestion (post 4) when things went from bad to worse. I had stopped and then restarted the Windows Update service, and restarted the laptop. The laptop wouldn’t shut down and I had to power it off using the On/Off switch. When I restarted the laptop it was running very slowly. Task Manager was slow to display detail whilst showing 0% CPU activity. Control Panel was also slow to display. The slow running got progressively worse until it got to the stage that the laptop was unusable. I did some further (slow) investigation and eventually could not run the Windows Update programme. I had to use the power switch again to shut down the laptop. I decided it was time for the big guns – I would re-load my last disk image created with Paragon Hard Disk Manager. The image was ‘only’ 6 weeks old – but that was fine as the Win 10 has only light use, and any data is backed up separately weekly.

The restored image ran fine and I spent some time performing Windows Updates. I think all the required updates have been installed, though Windows Update does seem to find one more update every time I think the listed updates have been applied.

I have just looked at the Update History and it shows all updates ‘completed successfully’ on 13/11/2015, including KB3105213, however:
    I see no sign of KB3105211 or KB3103688 mentioned by Berton.
    Winver at the command prompt shows version 10.0 Build 10240.

I waited a day and on switch on, Windows 10 advised me that a restart was needed. I re-started and the installation of the update started. Some 2 hours later, the update was complete. I now have Version 1511 (Build 10586.3

Needless to say, I have made a new disk image.

Thanks for all your help

Geoff