Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

Administrator account in Vista

My Vista machine is near replacement, but in the meantime I would like to rip a copy-protected DVD -- one that I own, I just want to watch it on my tablet. To that end I am attempting to add the libdvdcss-2.dll file to the handbrake folder.

I have had no problems running Handbrake. once I figured out that I have to right click and select "Run as Administrator." This is the only time in the lifetime of this computer that the Administrator has been mentioned (it is an HP Pavilion, and I understand that OEM computers were shipped with the Administrator account turned off).

However, I haven't found a comparable prompt that allows me to "add a file to a folder as administrator."

How do I get my file into the Handbrake folder?

Thank you!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy M View Post
    My Vista machine is near replacement, but in the meantime I would like to rip a copy-protected DVD -- one that I own, I just want to watch it on my tablet. To that end I am attempting to add the libdvdcss-2.dll file to the handbrake folder.

I have had no problems running Handbrake. once I figured out that I have to right click and select "Run as Administrator." This is the only time in the lifetime of this computer that the Administrator has been mentioned (it is an HP Pavilion, and I understand that OEM computers were shipped with the Administrator account turned off).

However, I haven't found a comparable prompt that allows me to "add a file to a folder as administrator."

How do I get my file into the Handbrake folder?

Thank you!
    There usually is a full Administrator account in Windows but by Default it is hidden. There should also be at least one User account that has administrative rights. Usually right-click an icon/shortcut or a .exe file and choosing Run as Administrator will work. There are times when one has to use the actual Administrator but that requires activating it, running the program then deactivating that account, it's a protection feature.
    https://duckduckgo.com/?q=activate+a...+windows+vista

As for Vista, it's actual EOL/End of Life is shown here as April 2017:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle
    Gives you more time to save your pennies for a new computer. Win10 won't upgrade Vista, has to be Win7 w/SP1 or Win8.1 or do a fully clean install.
    Last edited by Berton; 2015-11-13 at 16:29.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Berton For This Useful Post:

Judy M (2015-11-14)

jwoods
    I would like to rip a copy-protected DVD -- one that I own
    Read the Digital Millenium Copyright Act...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digita..._Copyright_Act

Title I of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. 17 U.S.C. 1201 prohibits circumvention of DRM.

Whether you own it or not...
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-11-13 at 16:47.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jwoods For This Useful Post:

Judy M (2015-11-14)

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    As your link says:
    The Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) is a United States copyright law
    It does not apply outside the US and the OP's profile doesn't indicate any particular country.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

7. The Following User Says Thank You to macropod For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-11-14)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I was wondering about copyright laws but should the OP be outside of the US, then this article should be of interest, although I don't know if it's a paid for program but recommends WINX as an alternative to Handbrake.

I also don't know if other laws elsewhere would prohibit this.

http://www.winxdvd.com/resource/rip-...tected-dvd.htm

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by macropod View Post
    As your link says:
    The Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) is a United States copyright law
    It does not apply outside the US and the OP's profile doesn't indicate any particular country.
    Actually, in countries who are members of the World Intellectual Property Organization, IP laws do apply...

http://www.wipo.int/members/en/

The WIPO Copyright Treaty is implemented in United States law as the DCMA.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WIPO_Copyright_Treaty
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-11-13 at 19:49.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    US laws apply only in the US. Period. Membership of the World Intellectual Property Organization doesn't change that.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by macropod View Post
    US laws apply only in the US. Period. Membership of the World Intellectual Property Organization doesn't change that.
    Member states in WIPO have similar IP laws.

So you can't assume that just because someone isn't in the U.S., that it is not against the law in another country.

Copy protection is there for a good reason.

If someone doesn't like that, don't buy copy protected products.

Period.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I am making no assumptions about what laws apply in other countries. And those 'similar' laws don't necessarily criminalise what the OP is trying to do. Australian law, UK law, Canadian law, etc. all differ on this. Indeed, even the US courts have sanctioned DRM circumvention in cases not amounting to piracy. See: https://www.eff.org/document/abbey-h...ia-v-apple-inc Given that ruling, I see nothing explicitly illegal in what the OP is trying to do.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

13. The Following User Says Thank You to macropod For This Useful Post:

Judy M (2015-11-14)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    So, Berton, if I run this command: net user administrator /active:no
    (advice from the duckduckgo link you pointed to) the administrator account will be disabled and I will be able to move files in and out of the Handbrake folder?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Regarding DCIM: thank you to all of you who pointed out that what I want to do is is illegal. I don't want to break the law. Before the DMCA, many people including a number of librarians (which I was, which is how I came to know so much about it) had the copyright law amended to include in the Fair Use section the right of an owner of a work in any format to make one copy to use, with the provision that the source copy would not be used at the same time as the reproduction. This allowed owners of any copyrighted item to make a copy for use, and often the reason users wanted to make a copy was to be able to view the content in another way. At that ancient time one use was to print out a microform copy onto paper so that one did not have to lug around a microform reader to read the product they owned. Producers of microfom contested this decision and lost.

At the time there were evolving formats for music and video storage (think Betamax, Laserdisc) and the provisions of this law also allowed users to convert their old formats to ones that could be used on the new devices they had purchased. Much of this was conversion from vinyl and older phonograph formats to cassette tapes to play in the Walkman and successive products.

IMHO, by the time the DMCA was passed, users of music and video had no clout, and the recording industry made this activity illegal in the U.S. As many of you have noted, U.S. provisions are more restrictive than those of many countries.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    (advice from the duckduckgo link you pointed to) the administrator account will be disabled and I will be able to move files in and out of the Handbrake folder?
    Using the command with /active:yes should show the account on the login screen and give full access. Using /active:no hides the actual Administrator from the logon screen and Users in Control Panel. Can't actually disable the Administrator account plus always have to have at least one user with administrative rights. Haven't any knowledge about Handbrake but should be able to copy or move files to its Folder as can be done with other Folders.
    Last edited by Berton; 2015-11-14 at 12:20.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Berton For This Useful Post:

Judy M (2015-11-14)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If you want to use the full admin privileges of the hidden admin account then enable it with /active:yes and when done, use /active:no to disable it.

Personally, as far is the law is concerned, providing you are only making a copy for personal use then go ahead - who is going to know ?

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

Judy M (2015-11-14)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you to all of you for your help. Just a comment, the duckduckgo advice was slightly wrong. I pasted their instruction: net user administrator /active:no into my comment above, and then took the advice to change "no" to "yes." This did not work because of the space between "administrator" and the slash. I started with machine-language programming, but it has been a long time since I dealt with even the command prompt. However, I figured that space did not belong and followed the advice to move the dll to the Handbrake folder. Thanks to all of you for helping me accomplish this.

Thanks for the link to the Apple case. I believe the Fair Use guidelines were what purchasers should be able to follow, and I agree that making a single copy for personal use is widespread even though it is illegal according to current statute and this has been raised but not resolved via the courts. I just want to be able to watch my DVDs on my desktop, and to be able travel with them. My current desktop and laptop have DVD players. I was considering buying a laptop without one, as fewer and fewer of them have one and it would decrease the weight, as long as I have an SD card slot to move the videos that I make to the laptop. (We travel and participate in a horse sport, and we find quick access to videos of our performances to be helpful for doing better. That is also why I want to use the training videos away from a DVD player. Sometimes even motel rooms don't have a DVD player.)

So, I will make a decision about what to do about the copy protection and I have learned how to tame the Administrator account in Vista. Thank you.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The cmd net user administrator /active:yes does have a space before the forward slash.

From the horse's mouth - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/555910

Type and enter exit to close the cmd window then reboot, or enter shutdown /r /t 00 to auto reboot where you will see the Admin icon on the Desktop which you then log in with.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

Judy M (2015-11-15)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast