New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Windows 8.1 Update problem

Yesterday I got a message that Windows needed to restart to finish installing an update. After the restart, all of my links, saved passwords, etc. were gone. Also, every (and I mean EVERY) program I ran started as if it was the first time! I managed to get my Thunderbird mail fixed, and several of the programs, but it's going to be an uphill battle to get things back to normal. What I discovered is that all of the programs point to C:\Users\TEMP\..... instead of C:\Users\Jim\... Can anybody tell me what happened?? (Makes me REAL reluctant to upgrade to Windows 10)..

Thanks in advance,

jwoods
    It is hard to say without looking at Event logs...but it could have been a corrupt user profile.

Hopefully, you do full disk image backups on a regular basis to restore from in case of issues like this.
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-11-14 at 23:42.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jwoods For This Useful Post:

tampatexan (2015-11-14)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Didn't have to restore anything - all the data was still there. The problem is that after the "update", it was ignoring the "Jim" user profile and everything pointed to the "Temp" user profile. What I had to do was track down the "old" data and copy it to the "new" profile .. if I knew how to change everything to look for my original "Jim" user profile and delete the "TEMP" user profile, that would probably fix everything and put it all back to where it was before the update. Where do I look for the Event logs? I looked at the Windows update history and it installed 8 updates yesterday...

Thanks for the reply...

Jim

jwoods
    Right...but if you had a recent full disk image backup (I do them weekly, and right before making a major change), you likely would have been close to completely back in business without having to create a new profile.

You might take a look at using Macrium Reflect Free, and imaging to an external hard drive...

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

For more info on fixing a corrupt profile, go to Windows Help on your system and search for "fix user profile" (no quotes).

Use Windows key + X to open Quick Links and select Event Viewer.

Expand the Custom Views folder and click on Administrative Events.

The Administrative Events contain Warnings, Errors, and Critical events from all event logs.
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-11-15 at 00:04.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Here are instructions for recovering the old profile.
    http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/wi...ows-7-3495216/

cheers, Paul

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

wavy (2015-11-17)