3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Smile Best Way To Back Up Main HDD To a Second HDD?

Hi All;
    So just recently installed a second SATA HDD in my main office computer.
    There are now two identical internal 1TB drives, and I am running Win 7 HP x 64bit.
    I was hoping to be able to use Intel Rapid Storage Technology to run the two drives in a RAID 1 array, but apparently the mobo needs to support RAID drives to enable that.
    It doesn't, so no dice.
    I was thinking maybe using something like Macrium or maybe Acronis to just do automatic weekly backups of the C: drive to the new one.
    Is this the best alternative to a RAID array, or is there a better way?

Thanks,
    rstew

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Using RAID on a home PC is not worth it IMO - I've experimented with this and it's a lot of hassle for no particular benefit.
    What I do is a daily incremental backup of my data to the second disk and a manual image backup to the second disk when required. I then copy the second disk to an external disk that lives in my fire/flood proof safe.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    I use Drive Clone Free. If anything goes wrong with your main drive, you just swap over the drives

http://www.farstone.com/software/drive-clone.php

Its very fast, but note that it changes the drive letter of the backup drive when run. You can change it back in Disk Management if you wish.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Calimanco View Post
    I use Drive Clone Free. If anything goes wrong with your main drive, you just swap over the drives

http://www.farstone.com/software/drive-clone.php

Its very fast, but note that it changes the drive letter of the backup drive when run. You can change it back in Disk Management if you wish.
    Thanks for the info.
    When you say it changes the drive letter, do you mean only once? Or every time you use it?
    Can you set it up to do scheduled automatic backups?

PaulT: I am thinking the same. Raid drives are probably overkill for a home PC.
    So if I can find a reasonable backup software package, that will likely suffice.
    Like you I feel that periodic backups of critical stuff to an external drive that is stored offsite, or somewhere very safe, is a great idea. For this purpose I use a portable 2.5" drive that connects via a usb3 cable. Seems to work fine.
    Thanks,
    rstew

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Try one of the free backup programs and if you like it pay for the full version that has nice things like bare metal restore.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    When you say it changes the drive letter, do you mean only once? Or every time you use it?

Yes, every time

Can you set it up to do scheduled automatic backups?

No

Thanks
    You can get something like Memeo to auto-backup selected folders on your hard drive (or the entire drive, if you wish) whenever any changes are made.

For example, you might have the following folder: C:\MyDocuments. In this folder are all of your pictures and documents. You can set Memeo up to auto-backup anything in that folder structure which changes. It will do an initial backup of that folder structure; and it will then backup any changes which occur in that folder structure.

You should also set up Word, etc., to do auto saves every few minutes; and then set up Memeo to auto-backup the Word auto-save folder.

You should also set up C:\Users\<username> and other such folders for auto-backup whenever you use a program like Memeo.

Full disclosure -- I haven't used Memeo in many years, so I have no idea how it is these days; but back in the day, it was an excellent program.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Using RAID on a home PC is not worth it IMO - I've experimented with this and it's a lot of hassle for no particular benefit.
    What I do is a daily incremental backup of my data to the second disk and a manual image backup to the second disk when required. I then copy the second disk to an external disk that lives in my fire/flood proof safe.

cheers, Paul
    Similar procedure here except that I use AllwaySync to backup key data to internal second HDD on a daily basis, Acronis to clone the main disk on a regular basis and Acronis full backup to external drive on a weekly basis. Last week the main drive failed to boot but booting to secondary drive worked and I was able to solve the problem - phew!