New Lounger
    Thanks

Cannot install Nov update to save my life!

Ironically, this is on the freshest of my PCs that was recently wiped and Win 10 installed from scratch. I have purged software distribution and catroot 2. I have done a reset of Windows Update. Norton is turned off during attempt to install. I install either through Windows Update or Media creation tool. After a few reboots I get the so very informative message "something happened!" There is nothing special about the hardware, An SSD drive and a dvd-rom, mouse, keyboard, network controller. All previous updates are installed. In setuperr.log there are four errors "0xC1800104" right before setup quits and i am back where I started.

I can find nothing on this error.

Microsoft seriously needs to make Windows Update work now that it is automatic.

Don in Austin

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Lewis View Post
    Ironically, this is on the freshest of my PCs that was recently wiped and Win 10 installed from scratch. I have purged software distribution and catroot 2. I have done a reset of Windows Update. Norton is turned off during attempt to install. I install either through Windows Update or Media creation tool. After a few reboots I get the so very informative message "something happened!" There is nothing special about the hardware, An SSD drive and a dvd-rom, mouse, keyboard, network controller. All previous updates are installed. In setuperr.log there are four errors "0xC1800104" right before setup quits and i am back where I started.

I can find nothing on this error.

Microsoft seriously needs to make Windows Update work now that it is automatic.

Don in Austin
    Have you tried a clean install of 10586 created with the Media Creation Tool?

Rich

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rmonroe36 View Post
    Have you tried a clean install of 10586 created with the Media Creation Tool?

Rich
    Right now I am not up for re-installing all my business apps, much as I would like the update.

Thanks for the response, Don

Thanks
    [QUOTE=Donald Lewis;1031471]Ironically, this is on the freshest of my PCs that was recently wiped and Win 10 installed from scratch. I have purged software distribution and catroot 2. I have done a reset of Windows Update. Norton is turned off during attempt to install. I install either through Windows Update or Media creation tool. After a few reboots I get the so very informative message "something happened!" There is nothing special about the hardware, An SSD drive and a dvd-rom, mouse, keyboard, network controller. All previous updates are installed. In setuperr.log there are four errors "0xC1800104" right before setup quits and i am back where I started.

Try installing the update from your "Hidden Admin Account".

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    While there have been many complaints of Threshold 2 failing to install and which MS have acknowledged but as yet failed to fully address, it could be because of something else on your computer, so see how it goes in a clean boot.

https://windowsinstructed.com/clean-...ndows-windows/
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-11-17 at 07:44.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    While there have been many complaints of Threshold 2 failing to install and which MS have acknowledged but as yet failed to fully address, it could be because of something else on your computer, so see how it goes in a clean boot.

https://windowsinstructed.com/clean-...ndows-windows/
    No dice there. A couple of months ago I was forced to wipe this HDD and install Win 10 from scratch. I made a rescue DVD at that time. I attempted to re-install that earlier version. "Installation failed." This PC has nothing installed which is not on my other workstations.

Don

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I couldn't find anything on that error code either, but Event Viewer may have a bit more info on the problem.

Sometimes these commands run from a Command Prompt (Admin) can resolve update problems, but it depends upon what is the cause.

dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth (this can hang on 20% but will complete)

sfc /scannow

exit

Then reboot.

If the /restorehealth cmd returns that it cannot find the source file then there's a section in this article that can help with that.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...c-695b60477a93

If sfc /scannow reports it cannot repair some files then enter -

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt

This will put an icon onto the Desktop (but doesn't always work in Win 10) which will open the CBS log in Notepad with what it could and couldn't repair.

You could also run SFCFix.exe which is a 3rd party program which gives a more concise report, but has been known to find nothing wrong even though sfc /scannow has reported unfixed errors.

This is a live link - http://www.sysnative.com/niemiro/apps/SFCFix.exe

If you are still at a dead end, then it may be worth waiting a while for MS to come up with a solution given that it has known installation problems.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-11-17 at 13:17.

Thanks
    Ironically, this is on the freshest of my PCs that was recently wiped and Win 10 installed from scratch.
    I was trying to find the article where I read this but I read where the Threshold 2 Upgrade will not be immediately available to anyone that recently upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 or for anyone that reinstalled Windows 10 for at least 30 days afterwards. According to this article Microsoft wants to provide those upgrading to have a time period when they can restore the prior OS. This doesn't seem to make any sense for someone that reinstalled Windows but this may be your issue.

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by Moondoggy451 View Post
    I was trying to find the article where I read this but I read where the Threshold 2 Upgrade will not be immediately available to anyone that recently upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 or for anyone that reinstalled Windows 10 for at least 30 days afterwards. According to this article Microsoft wants to provide those upgrading to have a time period when they can restore the prior OS. This doesn't seem to make any sense for someone that reinstalled Windows but this may be your issue.
    You can still upgrade using the Media Creation Tool, but if your current installation of Windows 10 is less than 30 days old, the upgrade can overwrite files that will prevent rolling back to the previous version.

jwoods
    No dice there. A couple of months ago I was forced to wipe this HDD and install Win 10 from scratch. I made a rescue DVD at that time. I attempted to re-install that earlier version. "Installation failed." This PC has nothing installed which is not on my other workstations.

Don
    I've seen the error posted in other forums...

Error MOUPG CDlpActionImpl<class CDlpErrorImpl<class CDlpObjectInternalImpl<class CUnknownImpl<class IMoSetupDlpAction> > > >::Suspend(1066): Result = 0xC1800104

You might try running dxdiag and see if it finds any issues.

Post setuperr.log as an attachment. You'll need to either change the file extension to txt, or put it in a zip file.
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-11-17 at 20:19.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You could try this which includes Threshold 2 https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10

jwoods
    Mentioned in the first post...

I install either through Windows Update or Media creation tool.