3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Which antivirus to use? Is Defender up to the task for Win10?

My mom was scammed last week with the Microsoft Support call - luckily she stopped just ahead of giving away her credit card details, but she did let the ****** get access to her machine with LogmeIn.

The result is that a new HDD and a full new install of Windows and her programs for the weekend! The question now stands - which antivirus to install?

I use Sophos Antivirus 10.3 which I find is excellent, however Windows comes with Defender installed. Will Windows Defender stand up to being robust enough, or should I install Sophos?

Thanks
    The result is that a new HDD and a full new install of Windows and her programs for the weekend!

That's excessive. I cant see the point in changing the hard drive as the malware cant effect it mechanically. Its also lot easier and quicker to remove LogMeIn and clean out any malware than reinstall everything from scratch.

Defender doesn't usually come out well in AV program tests, but they don't tell you everything. I've used most AV programs and find that, as long as its kept up to date, Defender is as effective as any. Many of the commercial programs, especially the free ones now come with PUPs (how ironic is that?) and some of them collect your browsing and search history to be sold to add pushers. At the end of the day, the one thing none of them can protect against is yourself inviting the malware in.

Thanks
    I use a paid A/V program (Trend Micro), and my reason is that if I am paying them, they will work harder for me than if I'm not paying them.

But a big part of computer security is that the user needs to be careful what he clicks on and where he goes.

If you can educate your mom to be careful and knowledgeable about these things, then she should be ok. But if your mom is not careful and knowledgeable, then the very best A/V program won't help her.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

Photorer (2016-07-22)

jwoods
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-11-16 at 15:49.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jwoods For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-11-19)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yup, I usually go to AV comparatives and others from time to time. Illuminating.

That said, no anti-malware will prevent someone who grants access to their computer.

I know of no way to fix that. For my 92 year old father I set his account to Guest privileges which prevented him from installing apps.

I do that on my own system as it may prevent malware from installing itself without permission from the Admin account. Fairly easy to work from a guest account. So it is not particularly encumbering.
    Last edited by Fascist Nation; 2015-11-19 at 07:51.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Standard Practice - No Admin?

Quote Originally Posted by Fascist Nation View Post
    Yup, I usually go to AV comparatives and others from time to time. Illuminating.

That said, no anti-malware will prevent someone who grants access to their computer.

I know of no way to fix that. For my 92 year old father I set his account to Guest privileges which prevented him from installing apps.

I do that on my own system as it may prevent malware from installing itself without permission from the Admin account. Fairly easy to work from a guest account. So it is not particularly encumbering.
    I run all the IDs on our household computers as normal users (without Admin priviledges). I am the only one who knows the Admin passwords, and the Admin accounts are not used except as needed. Everyone knows not to click on a link supplied in an email. Everyone is aware of phone scams. Should we go further to change all the "Normal" accounts to "Guest"? Thanks.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascist Nation View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Startboard View Post
    I run all the IDs on our household computers as normal users (without Admin priviledges). I am the only one who knows the Admin passwords, and the Admin accounts are not used except as needed. Everyone knows not to click on a link supplied in an email. Everyone is aware of phone scams. Should we go further to change all the "Normal" accounts to "Guest"? Thanks.
    It sounds like you have sufficiently-knowledgeable users at your house. So I wouldn't change anyone's access to "guest", unless you have a "problem-child", in which case I would change that person's access to "guest".

Thanks
    I always used KasperSky Antivirus and it never disaapoint me

Lounger
    Thanks
    Previously on Win7 I use AVG or Avast - free versions. Now on Win10 only depend on Window Defender supplement with Supersntispyware - free edition. Never believe in paying for such software. No matter what program you used it always boils down to your surfing habits & how discrete you are. The best antivirus won't help a bit if you download or open attachments freely or click on every link without thinking.
    Intel CoreI7 P55/ 8Gb 1600 RAM DDR3/ NV GTS 570 1Gb PCIe/ HDD X 3 = 6TB/SSD x 1 128GB/ BDRW X 2/DVDRW x 2/ Corsiar 850W PSU & running on Win10 Pro 64bit