Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Why is Google Chrome installing ASK.COM as a search engine?

This one really baffles me. We all know (or should) that ASK is a huge purveyor of junkware and spyware. It is affiliated with many fakeout search engines. It was at one time, many years ago, one of the first search engines (remember Ask Jeeves?)

But now it seems to be a conduit for the worst Internet junk, and a broker for every scammer out there.

So why is Google, which I still consider to be the best search engine company, including ask.com as one of their default search engines? Why should Google need ANY other search engine? Would Amazon advertise eBay?

Only one reason comes to mind: ask is paying them a LOT of money. And since ask is a very, very bad company, infringing on all our rights to surf safely, that means Google is complicit in what I personally consider to be criminal activity.

Just one more way in which Google is trying to do the Pinky and The Brain thing: take over the world. In any way possible.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    They are all at it these days which is why you need to be vigilant when downloading anything so as to look for the PuP check boxes and those misleading big green download buttons.

I came across something yesterday where it had a small EULA box checked informing that the download included an uninstaller - no way out of that one except to look elsewhere.

Thanks
    Why is Google Chrome installing ASK.COM as a search engine?
    Personally I haven't seen anything relating to ask.com in relation to Google Chrome. Java updates almost always has it before java will install ( just uncheck the box ) but I have never seen it related to Chrome.
    Are you sure that you didn't inadvertently let ask .com install with some other program?
    Where did you see this?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I agree with Lumpy. It was most likely Java or possibly Flash but not Chrome. Chrome is from Google, there's no way they would be using Ask.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

jwoods
    This has been an ongoing complaint with Chrome for a long time.

Just do a search on the Chrome forum and you'll see tons of complaints about Ask...

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!forum/chrome

Thanks
    lumpy and gsmith: Come on, you guys. I may be new to this board, but a little credit please. Go ahead, look in your Chrome search engine lists. If ask.com is not there, it's because it got deleted.

Ultimate proof: uninstall Chrome, get rid of its folder under AppData/Local, and install it as a pristine application. Voila: ask.com is in there.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    This has been an ongoing complaint with Chrome for a long time.

Just do a search on the Chrome forum and you'll see tons of complaints about Ask...

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!forum/chrome
    Nothing there seems to say it comes with Chrome though.

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Nothing there seems to say it comes with Chrome though.
    Some of those go back 2 or 3 years, so it's not new.

I suspect some of it is Chrome being bundled with other software, and Ask.com is one of the options already pre-selected in the installer that gets clicked-through.

Still, it appears there are others that are getting it without installing Chrome as part of a bundle.

Thanks
    Actually, there is no pre-selected option in any Chrome installation that I've ever seen. Ask.com is simply installed as part of the overall package.

That is not to say it only comes with Chrome... oh, no, it is a much bigger and hideous problem than that. It comes from ALL over, and is definitely part of a whole slew of "freeware" stuff during their install processes.

And I've only really noticed it this past year with Chrome; I don't believe it was in there before. Again, I suggest anyone seriously looking for proof of this, do a clean install of Chrome as I describe in a previous post... then look at the search engines.

jwoods
    I've seen it with Chrome bundled in an installer for another application.

Thanks
    I'm sure that happens a lot. In any case, Chrome all by itself includes the web address for the ask search engine.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Perhaps they bought it out.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by beachboybogart View Post
    Ultimate proof: uninstall Chrome, get rid of its folder under AppData/Local, and install it as a pristine application. Voila: ask.com is in there.
    Yes, it's there. But there's no way Chrome would be pushing it out. That would be like Coke putting Pepsi in it's packages.

There are a number of programs that will push Ask into your browser and some, once installed, will keep pushing it back in if you try and remove it. They can be very persistent.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Thanks
    Okay, go one step further then. Re-install Windows from scratch. Go nowhere on the 'Net, but install Chrome. It's there. I've done this many times for customers, then gone in and deleted the ask link. So tell me, where is it coming from if not from Google?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by beachboybogart View Post
    Okay, go one step further then. Re-install Windows from scratch. Go nowhere on the 'Net, but install Chrome. It's there. I've done this many times for customers, then gone in and deleted the ask link. So tell me, where is it coming from if not from Google?
    Are you saying that you can install Chrome on a clean machine and it will have ASK as the DEFAULT search engine?
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast