Lounger
    Thanks

windows defender update question

On my Dell desktop running Win 10, when I look at Update under settings there is always a Defender Update failure. I do not use defender but use Norton a/v. Does Win 10 update Defender even when it is turned off?

jwoods
    Even though Windows Defender has been turned off, there is likely a task scheduled to run that checks for updates.

Lounger
    Thanks

makes sense

Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    Even though Windows Defender has been turned off, there is likely a task scheduled to run that checks for updates.
    Thanks for the answer J Woods. That makes sense. As to why the Defender update keeps failing, I have to figure it out. It is KB226702-failed to install.

Thanks
    Did you use CCleaner to delete Windows Defender items?
    http://www.eightforums.com/windows-u...ate-fails.html

Jerry

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    Did you use CCleaner to delete Windows Defender items?
    http://www.eightforums.com/windows-u...ate-fails.html

Jerry
    Yes I did Jerry..you must be clairvoyant..I followed your instructions and now when I go to Update(Win 10 x64) and click on Retry...the windows defender update is gone..Thanks much.. I still have the daily Update fail for my printer: Hewlett-Packard - Imaging, Other hardware - Null Print - HP Photosmart 7520 series.. Any ideas on how to stop this one from trying to update daily? Printer works fine. And I'm wondering why the November Update doesn't show up yet. It d/l and installed on my laptop yesterday 11/16 but noyhing yet on the desktop. Other than all this, I like windows 10!

Thanks
    To stop the printer update, you could try going to the HP site and download the latest driver.

Otherwise, you could try disabling device driver updates via Windows Update by the following procedure:

Open the Control Panel by right-clicking the Start button and selecting Control Panel. Navigate to System and Security > System > Advanced system settings. Click the Hardware tab, click Device Installation Settings, and select the “No, let me choose what to do option. Select “Never install driver software from Windows Update.

Jerry