New Lounger
    Thanks

Who changed my ,doc files to ,pdf?

I find that some of my ,doc files have been changed to ,pdf (not by me) and are not accessible, Where does this post appear?
    Last edited by ruirib; 2015-11-17 at 13:48. Reason: Moved from Contact Us

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimholeman17 View Post
    I find that some of my ,doc files have been changed to ,pdf (not by me) and are not accessible, Where does this post appear?
    Have you looked at the files in Windows Explorer [Win7 and earlier] or File Explorer [Win8 and newer] right after creating the documents? It sometimes is quite easy to choose the wrong format when using Save As and the setting became the default. Have you tried the rename and change just the extension from .pdf to .doc [Word 2003 and earlier] or .docx [Word 2007 and newer]?

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Unless the actual file extension has changed from .doc to .pdf, most likely your file associations have been damaged. Select one of the affected files, then right click and choose Open With>Choose default program.

If the actual file extension has changed from .doc to .pdf, most likely someone or something has renamed them. In that case, select the affected files and change their extensions back to .doc.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by macropod View Post
    In that case, select the affected files and change their extensions back to .doc.
    Assuming they are not actually in PDF format.

Why do you say they are not accessible? What happens when you double click on them?

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Rather than double-clicking on the affected files, try to open them directly in Adobe Reader (Open Adobe first, and then choose File / Open). Do the same in Word. Whichever program successfully opens them is the file format they are in. If the extension (.PDF, .DOC) doesn't match the format, rename them to the correct extension.