Lounger
    Thanks

Trying to reinstall Gmail on Outlook 10

Sadly my HP m6 laptop running on Win 7 Home recently crashed. Altho I didn't have a reasonable backup, the tech was able to salvage most of the data from hard drive. I've been using Gmail for the last ten years and I still have the outlook.pst file that I was using before. I would like to reinstall that and pick up from where I left off, but I'm not quite sure how to do that. Should I set up Gmail as a new account and then override it with old pst file or what? It's rather important that I get this set up properly so I would appreciate any useful advice.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    NO. Set it up new. Then from within Outlook open the old .pst file. Drag items from the old file to the new file. When you are finished just close the old pst.

Joe

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

Mr Don (2015-11-18)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, I'm making some progress. I was able to import the old outlook.pst file from a couple of weeks ago and recovered all my emails including contacts. However, I can't get it to Send/Recieve now. Even the test message didn't come thru to Outlook altho it made it to the online Gmail.

When I checked the Account Settings the E-mail tab is blank but Data Files shows the correct email account. Can you tell me how I can fix that since I'm so close now?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    You should set it up as a new account. Make sure it is working correctly and then worry about the old data.

Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, I did set up a new account as you advised. Then I imported the old account. It appeared as if I had a second account, which was presumably the first one that I deleted. Perhaps I threw the baby out with the bathwater. I'm thinking that I may have to just wipe everything out and start all over again unless you have a better idea.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Don,

You have to set the new PST as the one to receive you mail.

File Tab.
    Account Settings dropdown arrow.
    Account Settings.
    Email Tab.
    outlookreceivefile.JPG

Make sure the yellow highlighted value is the NEW PST file, i.e. the new account file.

If you have more than one email account do it for each account to the same PST file.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm afraid this has all just turned to kaka. The first time I tried to add Gmail I selected "Enable POP for all email." When I saw that it was downloading messages from 10 years ago I stopped it and then went thru the whole routine again with "Enable POP for mail that arrives from now on." Then I imported the PST file to my second attempt. However, the Send/Receive only works with the first one that is incomplete. This may sound confusing to you but I think I see the error of my ways.

It seems that I'm going to have to wipe the slate clean and start all over. This time I'm going to select "Enable POP for mail that arrives from now on" and then import my old PST into that. At least I know that I can get it working properly eventually even tho I pooched it the first time. I'll be missing some messages for the two week period that my computer was down, but I can always find them online if I really need to.