2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

screen randonly goes black

My HP Desktop is about 5 years old. I added a ATI Radeon 3000 Graphics card and use a 23" HP Monitor. It has Windows 10 and 8 MB of RAM. On Sunday the screen began randomly going black. It has happened twice on Sunday, none Tuesday and once today. If streaming or playing any audio it continues to play. While black I have worked through the menu items (brightness, color, contrast, etc.) on the monitor and they appear normal on the screen and respond to adjustments. I have checked in Device Manager and drivers are current and no yellow symbols. The DVI cable is tightly screwed in on both ends. Rebooting the computer (without exiting and shutting down) is the only option. Once restarted it has run for hours or days. The HP Diagnostics display nicely and report no issues. Any guess on this being a warning sign from the graphics card or motherboard? THANKS!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Do you have access to another monitor you could try? That will probably tell you if it is the monitor or graphics card?
    Have you checked the graphics card seating?
    Is there an on-board graphics adapter you can try instead of the AMD card?
    Do you have the latest AMD drivers?
    Did this only start with Windows 10?
    Do you have the latest Windows 10 release? Did this start with the latest release?

Joe

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-11-19)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    That card isn't supported for Win 10 so it could be a driver problem as the basic MS driver may not be sufficient for anything heavy duty.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-arti...r-Support.aspx

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-11-19)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Do you have access to another monitor you could try? That will probably tell you if it is the monitor or graphics card? No, this is my only monitor.
    Have you checked the graphics card seating? No, but I will.
    Is there an on-board graphics adapter you can try instead of the AMD card? Yes, but that would be VGA, I believe. I will try it.
    Do you have the latest AMD drivers? not sure
    Did this only start with Windows 10? Win 10 ran fine for three months before this started.
    Do you have the latest Windows 10 release? Did this start with the latest release? With auto updates, I not sure when the newest version was installed.

Joe
    This is my only monitor. I'll check card seating. On-board is VGA only but I'll try. Not sure about AMD drivers. Win 10 ran fine for three months. With auto updates I am not sure of when the newest version was installed.
    Thanks for all the good ideas. PDH

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you have a laptop you can check the monitor as well. Otherwise find someone with a computer or laptop who will let you try the monitor on their system. [of course if it is a Win10 system as well]

Sudo is likely right in the diagnosis---unsupported driver can cause quirks.

Update to last Win8 64-bit supported driver if not already latest, which is 13.1. These is a beta 13.4 you can try as well. This is pretty much how you continue on with more advanced OS's. It either works or it does not. Usually it works.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/downloa...s%208%20-%2064 - assumes 64-bit OS

You can also download and image burn a bootable high resolution OS ISO like Ubuntu or Linux Mint to a DVD or flash drive and boot it up as a LiveCD (don't install it...it runs in memory). If the same issues exist then you know the problem is with the monitor or graphics card/on board graphics. If not then you know it is the graphics driver.

If the above driver doesn't work then buying a cheap graphics card that supported Win10 would be a way to continue using the PC.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814487095 - assumes you have an empty PCIe x16 slot
    Last edited by Fascist Nation; 2015-11-19 at 07:24.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks yo for all the suggestions. I have changed the driver to the 13.1 and will see how that works. Since it was random, that may be a few days. I'll re-post if issue continues.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I have a Toshiba laptop with an AMD HD3200 chip and because AMD's auto detect has only ever had Legacy which I assume is 13.1, I've never considered a Win 10 upgrade and would be dubious about a Beta video driver.

If you have to go for another card then first check if it's Win 10 compatible - Google before you buy.

Another reason for random black screening is RAM, but you wouldn't get audio continuing.

Depending upon how your 8GB is made up (I use 2x4GB in my laptops), you take one out and try for a while with just each fitted or run Memtest 86+ against each card.

I hope you meant 8GB and not 8MB - otherwise you would have problems

I think it's Win 10 supported http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic...ing-memtest86/
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-11-19 at 12:22.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    When you say you:

...added a ATI Radeon 3000 Graphics card...
    You don't mean recently, right? I believe that's an older model.

Standard troubleshooting methods tell us to look for what has changed right around the time the problem started happening. Windows 10 and new drivers for that are a very good fit to explain the timing of what you experienced.