5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Taking some control over long context menus

BEST PRACTICES

By Lincoln Spector
    You right-click a file perhaps to open it with an alternative program or to look for previous versions and you get a menu that's as long as a list of pumpkin-pie recipes.
    It's a pain to have to wade through the list to find a commonly used option. Here's how to shorten the number of choices.

The full text of this column is posted at WindowsSecrets.com/best-practices/taking-some-control-over-long-context-menus/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

Lounger
    Thanks

Much more easy

[QUOTE=

[tbl="bgcolor=white cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 width=100% summary=Windows 8"][tr][td="align=left valign=top width=510"]
    ][/QUOTE]

I find the HACE - Mmm FREE program is very user friendly and does the job I need It's simple to download and apply. Works immediately it's installed. Find it at http://hace-software.com/mmm.shtml

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by malaus View Post
    I find the HACE - Mmm FREE program is very user friendly and does the job I need It's simple to download and apply. Works immediately it's installed. Find it at http://hace-software.com/mmm.shtml
    It only works in Windows XP...

Program: MMM free
    Version: 2.02
    Release date: Jul 8th 2005
    Operating system: WinXP Only!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello, Mr. Spector! Thank you very much for all of your useful articles over the years. I am a long-time Windows Secrets reader, and first-time Lounge contributor.

Regarding your article in today's newsletter, "Taking some control over long context menus," I was a little surprised that manually editing the registry was recommended, and one third-party program as well, but that the excellent free tools from Nirsofer at nirsoft.net were not mentioned. I have used his free programs for editing context menus, and many other of his offerings, for many years, and can verify that they all have worked and worked well, are all free, and are excellent. Most of them run on all versions from Windows 98 or 2000 up through Windows 10.

For the task which you are writing about today--editing context menus--I have used Nirsoft's ShellMenuView, ShellMenuNew, and ShellExView. I found them all to be highly effective and certainly easier, in my opinion, than manually editing the registry.

For any folks still using Windows XP, I seem to recall among the Microsoft Powertoys for XP, a program--it might have been "Tweak UI"--which also allowed users to edit the context menus.

Hope this may be of help to someone!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Agathon66 For This Useful Post:

DavidFB (2015-11-19)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    For years I've been able to remove many unwanted context menu items with AutoRuns (Windows Sysinternals), under the "Explorer" tab. I just scroll thru the list & uncheck any items I don't want listed. I do this for ContextMenuHandlers, ShellExecuteHooks, CopyHookHandles, etc.

If a context menu item isn't listed in the "Explorer" tab (and I'm lucky), the program it belongs to often lets me remove the the context menu item via the program settings.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Or just use the CCleaner startup tool to enable or disable them with one click...

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Agathon66 View Post
    . . . the excellent free tools from Nirsofer at nirsoft.net were not mentioned . . .

For the task which you are writing about today--editing context menus--I have used Nirsoft's ShellMenuView, ShellMenuNew, and ShellExView. I found them all to be highly effective and certainly easier, in my opinion, than manually editing the registry.
    Couldn't agree more - Nir Sofer's tools are excellent.

Would be e nice to have something like the old Mmm. IIRC it allowed one to organise the menu - I had image related tools in one flyout, security related tools in another etc.

nw