Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 10 gets its first big update

TOP STORY

Windows 10 gets its first big update

By Tracey Capen

The much-anticipated fall update for Windows l0 has arrived. If you're looking for significant changes, you're going to be disappointed. Version 1511 is an important update, but many of the enhancements are either buried in the Settings menus or under the hood.

The full text of this column is posted at WindowsSecrets.com/top-story/windows-10-gets-its-first-big-update/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Update or Upgrade?

I don't mean to put too fine a point on it, but wasn't the 1511 an Upgrade, not an Update?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Upgrade implies a new version of the software, update implies fixing issues with the current version.

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Not everyone gets all the updates?

The one change I was looking forward to is using Cortana with a local account.

I'm in Hong Kong and had to jump through some hoops early on to try cortana out. I like it - but I'm not willing to create and use a Microsoft account just for the privilege of talking to my PC.

Now I've upgraded to 1511 but still when I go to try and use cortana I'm getting "Let's pick up where you left off" and then "One last thing; I'll need you to sign in with a Microsoft account..."

I'm not sure whether it's because I'm outside some specified list of countries, or because I left Cortana in limbo when I did the upgrade - but it's not working for me.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for an excellent article. When I pull up the About screen on either my desktop running Windows 10 Pro or my laptop running Windows 10 Home, after the Edition line, there is no Version and no OS Build lines in either one. I have been running Windows 10 preview in a virtual machine for almost a year. I noticed after the July RTM release, the version number which used to appear in the desktop was no longer there. How do I find out which version I am running?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Just installed it on a Windows 10 Pro unit yesterday. Once it completed the process I had a note in the action center. It decided that my paid subscription to Trend Worry Free Business Security Services wasn't compatible and removed it. In it's place I got Windows Defender.

Not happy that I didn't even get the option to ignore or do something elese. It just sucked it out and gave me their product -- which I know from experience is far less effective. If they are going to remove a product like that -- we need to get some kind of advance option to stop the update or temporarily do something else until the problem can be resolved.

Have a Great Day,
    Rusty

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EHellerjr View Post
    Thanks for an excellent article. When I pull up the About screen on either my desktop running Windows 10 Pro or my laptop running Windows 10 Home, after the Edition line, there is no Version and no OS Build lines in either one. I have been running Windows 10 preview in a virtual machine for almost a year. I noticed after the July RTM release, the version number which used to appear in the desktop was no longer there. How do I find out which version I am running?
    Go to Settings | System | About.

Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CallMyPcDr View Post
    Just installed it on a Windows 10 Pro unit yesterday. Once it completed the process I had a note in the action center. It decided that my paid subscription to Trend Worry Free Business Security Services wasn't compatible and removed it. In it's place I got Windows Defender.

Not happy that I didn't even get the option to ignore or do something elese. It just sucked it out and gave me their product -- which I know from experience is far less effective. If they are going to remove a product like that -- we need to get some kind of advance option to stop the update or temporarily do something else until the problem can be resolved.

Have a Great Day,
    Rusty
    If you used the GWX icon to upgrade you could have checked application compatibility before starting the upgrade. Installing incompatible software especially anti-malware software could render a system unusable.

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    3GB's and no new apps!!!!?

Man that is a lot of fixes on an OS that seems (from complaints) to be pretty stable.

http://winsupersite.com/windows/windows-10

http://changewindows.org/build.php?id=93
    Last edited by Fascist Nation; 2015-11-19 at 12:18. Reason: added links

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have the same situation. I can't find the Version anywhere in Settings or the Control Panel. But I could go to Upgrades/ Updates on the Windows Upgrade site. That lists all of the upgrades that have occurred. I see that my last one(s) were installed on 11 November, but 1511 will presumably come later.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Joe,

I just used the standard button inside of settings to run the upgrade. I'm an IT consultant and this is one of my internal machines that I'm testing Windows 10 on. I use it for other things -- but mostly I try to treat it like the average customer or user would, so I can find issues like this before rolling it out to my clients.

We can't reasonably expect the average guy to do anything other than click the button and do the upgrade. I think both Microsoft and Trend are at fault here. They should work together more closely so we don't have problems like this that show up after the fact and cause our customers problems.

I can't remember a case where a Windows update caused a problem with Trend or most any other AV. I'm sure there are plenty of problems that show up -- I just haven't seen them. If there's a compatibility problem that is known like this one -- then Microsoft needs to tell us that as part of the process and before they remove a program from our machine.

Have a Great Day,
    Rusty

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I too do not find the "version" on my Windows 10 Home system on the "About" page.
    This actually happens fairly frequently that the method you cite does not produce the anticipated result. What is up with that?

Thanks
    Try clicking on the Start icon and typing "winver".

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks

MediaCreationTool - does 32 or 64 bit matter anymore?

The story mentions a new version of the MediaCreationTool. Previously, one had to use the version of the tool that matched the computer the media was being created on - 32 bit if one was creating the Windows 10 installation media on a 32 bit Windows computer, or 64 bit version of the tool if one was creating the media on a 64 bit Windows computer. Is this still the case?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by marcerickson View Post
    The story mentions a new version of the MediaCreationTool. Previously, one had to use the version of the tool that matched the computer the media was being created on - 32 bit if one was creating the Windows 10 installation media on a 32 bit Windows computer, or 64 bit version of the tool if one was creating the media on a 64 bit Windows computer. Is this still the case?
    The MCT allows downloading either 32-bit or 64-bit and whether to Upgrade or save for a different computer. The important thing is to get the version you need, both contain Home and Pro. The install will read what you have and use the same.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast