Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Whether to install Win10: Time to make a choice

WINDOWS 10

Whether to install Win10: Time to make a choice

By Susan Bradley

Depending on your point of view, Microsoft is either a generous benefactor or a benevolent dictator. It's doing its best to ensure all Windows consumers upgrade from Win7 and 8.1.

But for those who use Windows for business, or who have an older computer, you might be better off sticking with Win7 for now. Here's how.

The full text of this column is posted at http://windowssecrets.com/windows-10...make-a-choice/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Susan
    According to your newsletter, to remove the Win 10 update option

"Expand HKEY_Local_Machine and then navigate through SOFTWARE/Policies/Microsoft/Windows/WindowsUpdate."

I do not have "Windows Update" in my Windows 7 registry.
    Why not ?

Thanks
    Steve - When you run regedit, are you right-clicking and choosing Run as administrator?

Hope this helps...

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    My preference to remove the W10 option is to run GWX Control Panel. Much easier than editing the registry.

cheers, Paul

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-11-19)

Thanks
    I do not have any of the registry entries mentioned in the article. Is that because I uninstalled and then blocked KB 3035583, the one that installs GWX? I am running Win7 Pro on a Dell laptop.
    Bill Meacham
    bmeacham98 AT yahoo.com

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Even when I right-click "regedit" and "Run as administrator" the WindowsUpdate key does not appear in either of the locations mentioned.

Should I create all the new keys named, or am I protected against unwanted Win10 the way it is now?

Thank you!

Thanks
    It's easiest just to do what Paul T advises in post #4 and use GWX Control Panel.

Hope this helps...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Dear Ms. Bradley, thank you VERY much for your excellent articles, especially "Patch Watch." Regarding blocking Windows 10, I take it that making the registry edits you suggested are entirely sufficient for blocking the automatic upgrade to Win 10 even if Windows Update settings are set for automatically downloading and installing them? I would like to use this method for those conputers of others whom I maintain, if this is the case. Do you know if using GWX Control Panel is identical to making these reg edits, and would also block the Win 10 upgrade even if Windows Updates settings were set to fully automatic? Thank you also for your petition to Microsoft, and also, would you please write an article in the Windows Secrets newsletter about Win 10 Enterprise and if that can be locked-down and made fully private, and also precisely how best to purchase Win 10 Enterprise. Thank you!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Agathon66 View Post
    Dear Ms. Bradley, thank you VERY much for your excellent articles, especially "Patch Watch." Regarding blocking Windows 10, I take it that making the registry edits you suggested are entirely sufficient for blocking the automatic upgrade to Win 10 even if Windows Update settings are set for automatically downloading and installing them? I would like to use this method for those conputers of others whom I maintain, if this is the case. Do you know if using GWX Control Panel is identical to making these reg edits, and would also block the Win 10 upgrade even if Windows Updates settings were set to fully automatic? Thank you also for your petition to Microsoft, and also, would you please write an article in the Windows Secrets newsletter about Win 10 Enterprise and if that can be locked-down and made fully private, and also precisely how best to purchase Win 10 Enterprise. Thank you!
    I'm old school and crusty and thus go with the registry. But yes using the GWX control panel will do the same thing. For those systems that don't have the registry keys you need to ADD these values. In this case, it's easier to use the GWX control panel program to block the Windows 10. http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/201...ly-remove.html go there for more info.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SusanBradley For This Useful Post:

box (2015-11-19),hcc (2015-11-21),PhotM (2015-11-19)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    P.S. will do an article on Windows 10 enterprise.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to SusanBradley For This Useful Post:

PhotM (2015-11-19)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Dear Ms. Bradley, thank you very much! You are awesome! Looking forward to the Win 10 Enterprise piece!

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SusanBradley View Post
    I'm old school and crusty and thus go with the registry.......
    I like OLD SCHOOL AND CRUSTY

As you know Susan, so am I, glad to see you here when you can

I to look forward to the Enterprise article. Will it be possible for you to cover the finer nuances of negotiating Volume Licensing for those of us who don't use or require that many MS products or don't have $1000.00's of dollars to spent?

Best Regards,

Crysta

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I read Ms. Bradley's excellent column, and like a couple of you, neither of the entries listed under her 'Blocking the upgrade by editing the Registry' were in my Registry.

So after reading all the posts, I downloaded and ran GWX Control Panel. Attached is the screen shot I saw. Since the only 'Yes' was for 'Are Windows UPdate OS upgrades enabled?', I clicked the 'Disable Operating System Upgrades in Windows Update'.

I then opened my Registry and checked. Both of the fixes listed in Ms. Bradley's 'Blocking the upgrade by editing the Registry' were made. But the fix in her 'Blocking the Get Windows 10 icon' was not. I assume because GWX did not find a 'Get Windows 10' app either running or enabled, that it did nothing.

But to be safe, don't I need to make the fix that Ms. Bradley's article mentioned?

Harry
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Hi Harry, As your screenshot shows the Get Windows 10 app is 'not found', it suggests that you have never had KB3035583 installed and have hidden it or have un-installed it then hidden it.

Either way, it's KB3035583 that's responsible for the Get Windows 10 app itself and the subsequent icon in the Notification Area. As a result there's no need, in my opinion, to use Susan Brarley's registry fix to block the icon.

If, for any reason, the icon did appear (e.g. if the app was re-released with a different KB number) then you could just update GWX Control Panel (just in case) and re-run it.

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2015-11-22 at 06:35.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There is another question about the Windows 10 issue not yet mentioned. If you have a Windows 7 machine that is still under warranty but your manufacturer doesn't offer support or drivers for Windows 10, will the Windows 10 update (assuming it works) affect the warranty?

I have a Panasonic SX2 laptop purchased in January 2015. It was a current model and is still being sold at full retail price. It came with Windows 7 and the vendors all show the "free Windows 10 update" logo. Nonetheless, Panasonic has stated that it has no intention of providing new drivers.

One person on a notebook forum with an older, also not supported Panasonic laptop, said he had to uninstall and update "Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework driver." I haven't a clue about what this is or entails.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast