New Lounger
    Thanks

NO Subwoofer in applications

When I use the Sound control panel item to test my 5.1 sound installation, (right click on volume icon, playback devices, speakers, right click, test) everything tests correctly, including the subwoofer. However, no applications use the subwoofer. (Media Player, VLC, iTunes, DVD player tested so far.) I have tried both the Microsoft drivers and the Creative Drivers and nothing changes - still no subwoofer in Windows 10 applications. Anyone have any ideas?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Are you sure you are playing a 5.1 audio stream?
    Try the test files from here: https://www2.iis.fraunhofer.de/AAC/multichannel.html

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes. The same card in a machine running Windows 7 works perfectly but not in the machine running Windows 10. Looks like yet another bug in Windows 10.

As far as I can tell, this is a flaw in DirectX 12 that is built into Windows 10. The speaker test routine connects to my sound card directly but all of the applications use DirectX - hence they all have the same flaw of the missing subwoofer output. I wonder why the gamers have not complained - it may be due to the shortage of Windows 10 / DirectX 12 compliant games.

The other possibility is that Creative's drivers are not connecting to DirectX 12 correctly but I note that there are plenty of people complaining about this issue on the internet who are using other sound cards, so it is probably not just Creative that has a symptom of the missing subwoofer.

Update November 30th: I discovered that the Rx sound card was sending the full signal to the front jacks - my headphones confirmed that all of the bass is there, although the speaker configuration says "small". It looks like the Creative driver is not separating the lower frequencies in the sound files, and therefore is not sending anything to the subwoofer. Your The driver seems to be a big problem.

I removed the Rx sound card and all drivers and installed an Audigy 2 ZX card. I was able to get driver from Microsoft. IT HAS EXACTLY THE SAME PROBLEM - NO SUBWOOFER. All of the sound comes from the front speaker output, regardless of the speaker settings dialog box. The combination of Windows 10 and Creative drivers seems to be at the root of this problem.

Newer update: amplified headphones confirmed that the centre/subwoofer output from the Audigy 2 ZS card is centre only - there is nothing in the subwoofer channel but the whole signal is present in the front (stereo) channel signal. It looks like the Creative software that should be separating the higher frequencies from the subwoofer is not working at all. Creative?
    Last edited by Lindsay in Canada; 2015-12-01 at 21:33. Reason: new information