Lounger
    Thanks

Reinstalling Windows 8.1 over Ubuntu

After some problems with Windows 8.1 on my wife's laptop last year, I took the easy way out and over-wrote it with Ubuntu. I now wish to reinstall 8.1 and then upgrade to Windows 10. However, I am unable to do that, because the partition is not NTFS formatted.

So, booted from GParted, which showed that there are three partitions:

sda1 - FAT32
    sda2 - ext 4
    sda3 - LVM2 PV

Tried to format sda3 and received the following warning:

"You are formatting over non-empty LVM2 physical volume dev/sda3

Deleting or over-writing the physical volume is irrecoverable and will destroy or damage the volume group.

To avoid destroying the volume group you are advised to cancel and use external LVM commands to free the physical volume before attempting this operation."

Why do I need to use 'external LVM commands' and how would I do that?

Assuming that I can just go ahead, on the other hand, should I just remove the partitions and re-format so that I end up with a single NTFS partition?

Thanks
    Using GParted you just need to use Partition > Delete on each partition after selecting each one in turn... then Apply the changes.

You don't actually need to do anything else, i.e. there's no need to create any new partitions or do any formatting. I just leave the drive 'bare' and let all the partitioning/formatting be taken care of automatically during the reinstallation of Windows.

Hope this helps...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

JohnLo (2015-11-19)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. That went fine. Now another problem. I was asked for the licence code, which I of course do not have, given that it is a relatively new machine. I skipped it, but presumably will be asked for it again after a specified period (which used to be thirty days). How do I handle that?

Thanks
    If the laptop originally came with a pre-installed (i.e. OEM) version of Windows 8.1 then it should pick up the product key from the UEFI firmware (BIOS).

What make/model laptop is it?

Lounger
    Thanks
    Dell Inspiron 15, purchased February 2014.

That's what I expected to happen, but it did not. I made some changes to the Setup at some stage. For example, disabled security, and changed to legacy mode. I think that I did that with this machine (although it might have been its predecessor) to boot Puppy Linux (my quick solution when there is a problem, since all my wife does is use the browsers). To re-install Windows 8.1 I selected UEFI boot from the DVD, of course.

Thanks
    I'm not familiar with that particular model but my understanding is that the product key (SLP) is embedded in the UEFI-mode firmware. I don't know whether it's also accessible from the legacy BIOS.

I've used this free Windows OEM Embedded Product Key Tool from NeoSmart to retrieve the info.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

JohnLo (2015-11-26)