Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

OneNote's bipolar nature

OneNote 2013 is driving me nuts. I would like to like it, but the way it works drives me crazy. I have a OneDrive account and I keep some Doc's and XLS's files on it and am able to use them from multiple computers. But One Note has it's own crazy way of syncing with the cloud in addition to keeping some files somewhere on the local computer.

Is there any way to just tell OneNote to store it's files in a OneDrive folder like a normal program?
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    What, in its behavior, drives you nuts?

OneNote keeps temporary files in temp folders. That makes sense to me, since it has the advantage of not requiring huge syncs each time a sync occurs. OneNote notebooks can be huge (I have a few big ones), so in order to allow you to add stuff at any page, as you may need, it makes sense to have temporary files.

Other than the occasional difficulty to sync, due to network issues, this behavior never caused me any issues. What issues does it cause you?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sometimes it seem to sync OK, sometimes not.
    Sometimes it doesn't and won't even appear to try - then suddenly it syncs.
    Sometimes it wants me to re-enter my credentials, sometimes not.
    It doesn't appear to use OneDrive for anything, but won't work if it's not setup.

Let's just assume that I don't want it to sync at all. Assume I want to save all the files on my NAS and skip the cloud completely. Can it be done?
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    In OneNote 2007 (YMMV) you can click File, Sync, Work Offline. That turns automatic syncing off; any changes you make are still cached locally.

I'd imagine it's similar in your version, if not exactly the same.

Administrator
    Thanks
    I guess where you store your OneNote docs depends on the version you run - I have always run the full Office version and with that one, you can store your documents wherever you want to. Actually, with the early OneNote versions, there was no cloud to speak of. All notes were local. I still have a few local ones, but I have migrated most to the web, because that is the best way to keep the notebooks synced between different computers.

If you get Office365, you will be able to do it. With the free version, I think you won't.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Here's where I am coming from... I don't dislike OneNote, I dislike the way the new version is tethered to the internet.

I started playing with OneNote and OneDrive when I got a Surface Pro 3 and Win10. Since I could get 30GB on OneDrive, I started messing around with the notion of storing some documents I would normally be working on from more than one computer there. Since OneNote was free and used OneDrive as well, I decided to fool with it as well. I'm not in love with either but they fill a niche and I'm willing to adapt. Or I was.

With the announcement of the hatchet job MS is getting ready to do on OneDrive, my plans are changing. I have a NAS that's left over from before I retired and closed my business. It works fine on my home network for shared files and I have a small Dropbox account that works for the few things I like to have on my iPad or need to give someone access to. So, I'm getting ready to give OneDrive the boot and want to know if there is a way I can move my OneNote files to the NAS.

I've looked at info on how prior versions of OneNote work and the free 2013 version looks very different. There may even be more than one version of OneNote 2013 - that's not clear to me. The free version appears to be permanently tethered to OneDrive. It can work offline for a period but I don't think it can do that permanently.

The cache and backup files are located in AppData rather than Documents. I can move the whole folder to the NAS but I'm not sure I can cut OneNote off from using OneDrive.

From what I can see at this point, this is just another part of the MS plan to lure people into using OneDrive and paying for a subscription. If I can't use OneNote as a standalone app, then it's of no real use to me. I can certainly yank out my notes and to-do lists and stick them in DOC's - which is where I used to keep stuff like this.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware

Administrator
    Thanks
    I think the free version can't really work without OneDrive. A paid version can.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    I think the free version can't really work without OneDrive. A paid version can.
    I think you may be right. And the problem is compounded by the fact that there are, apparently, two versions of OneNote 2013 - paid and free - with different capabilities. This makes it very hard to research.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmith-plm View Post
    I think you may be right. And the problem is compounded by the fact that there are, apparently, two versions of OneNote 2013 - paid and free - with different capabilities. This makes it very hard to research.
    Yeah, I have been caught there in the past.

I have used OneNote since the early versions and those didn't work with OneDrive, there was no OneDrive in any shape or form. That capability remains in the paid version (I am current using a paid version of Office 2013).

I suppose there is some legitimacy in having the free option "promote" OneDrive. It's just a shame that they have behaved in a way that raises legitimate doubts about their OneDrive trustworthiness.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    I suppose there is some legitimacy in having the free option "promote" OneDrive. It's just a shame that they have behaved in a way that raises legitimate doubts about their OneDrive trustworthiness.
    They have every right to tie the free version to OneDrive. I just wished that it was more clear from the start that this is a different and separate product from the paid version. In fact, there are actually four version - Online, Modern/Metro App, Free, and Paid.

As to OneDrive, it's not a bad product, but MS has jerked users around with so many changes over the past couple years that I have to wonder if they really know what they are doing. It seems clear that they are moving everything they can to a subscription model. But I don't want to lease software.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Are you suggesting it should be called TwoNote? FourNote perhaps?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmith-plm View Post
    They have every right to tie the free version to OneDrive. I just wished that it was more clear from the start that this is a different and separate product from the paid version. In fact, there are actually four version - Online, Modern/Metro App, Free, and Paid.

As to OneDrive, it's not a bad product, but MS has jerked users around with so many changes over the past couple years that I have to wonder if they really know what they are doing. It seems clear that they are moving everything they can to a subscription model. But I don't want to lease software.
    Well, this is all a changing rapidly. I don't really bother about the software lease, though, as long as it is sensible. $100 / year per Office and 1 TB storage seems quite good to me. I was paying $90 / year for 100 GB of storage before, so I see it as getting Office for free, really .

The software by subscription seems to be gaining momentum. Just recently a relevant vendor of development tools moved all of their tools into subscription. There is a difference, though, once you pay for a full year, you get a perpetual license for the version of the product you started paying the year before. It's an interesting model.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Here's the main problem I see with software leasing... Without boring you with the details, I got stuck with a choice of either finding another product or paying a hefty subscription price for a software program that I had purchased two years prior that I only rarely used any more.

$100 per year for Office 365 with 1TB of data isn't a bad price for something if you use it a lot. But if you only use Word and Excel a few times a month and consider 50GB a reasonable amount of storage, it's not so attractive. Everything is relative and MS may be walking on thin ice if they think that Mr and Mrs Middle America are going to take well to having to pay a yearly fee for software.

As to Corporate America, I'm assuming they have a different model in mind, because I know companies that only switched to Win7 and Office 2010 two years ago and aren't in any rush to move to beyond that.

BUT, this is really all outside the original topic. The answer to my question has been answered - the version I am using won't do what I want. But there is a paid version that will.
    Last edited by gsmith-plm; 2015-11-24 at 08:37.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, over the weekend, I got talked into giving OneNote 2016 (free) a try. I had already uninstalled OneNote 2013, for various reasons. Installing the 2016 version was interesting because it kept trying to resurrect the three 2013 notebooks I deleted (or thought I did) when I got rid of ON2013 - it seems that OneNote leave a TON of debris behind when you uninstall it.

Anyhoo... The 2016 version is now running and after fighting with it (again) because it insisted that I absolutely had to have a notebook named My Notebook (because calling things My Anything is beyond stupid - it ranks just below Mr Clippy and MS Bob - and proves that the marketing folks at MS will be the first ones up against the wall when the revolution comes). I have the two notebooks setup that I want along with a Quick Notes notebook and peace is once again established.

Then I tried to create a Quick Note from the taskbar icon and I am presented with this:
    QuickNote1.PNG
    WTF is this all about? It's a free program. Says so right on the box (metaphorically speaking).

So I close the window and get the Quick Note windows but across the top it tells me I should move this Notebook to OneDrive and tells me to "click here to move". So I figured that perhaps for some reason the Quick Note notebook didn't get setup right - anything is possible at this point. So I click where it tells me and get this:
    QuickNote2.PNG
    WFT??? I checked online and found that I'm not the first person to run into this. It would appear that this version of OneNote is taken out of Office 2016 Home and Student and it's still got stuff in it from that version plus and perhaps a bit of stuff from Office365 as well. This is insane.

At this point I'm ready to rip it out again because I have no idea if it's setup correctly or not. Who is piloting the ship at MS? Did they fire their QA staff and replace them with elementary school kids? (not a bad idea really - they couldn't do worse)
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I've given up on OneNote for some of the same reasons. Not a bad move in light of Microsoft's limiting or eliminating some usage of OneDrive.

Update: Just tried to uninstall OneNote 2013. I have Office 2010 installed but in order to uninstall just OneNote 2013 [that Microsoft had updated from 2010] it seems I would have to uninstall all Office products then reinstall Office 2010 OR purchase an Office 2013 product to install first. So as not to upset things I'll leave OneNote installed but disable or hide it for now.
    https://support.office.microsoft.com...rs=en-US&ad=US
    Last edited by Berton; 2016-01-26 at 18:52.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast