Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook 2013 (32-bit) on Windows 7 (64-bit): Keyboard typing alphabet in order

This is VERY strange. Occasionally, perhaps 1 in 100 times I open Outlook 2013, I start typing a new email or a reply email and the first key press, no matter what key I press is an "a". The second key press is a "b", no matter what key I actually press. The third key press is a "c", no matter what key I actually press. This keeps going similarly. The only way I've found to stop this is to close Outlook and open it again. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?
    Stu

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Have you tried repairing the Office installation?

Have you tried running Outlook with add-ins disabled?

Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Always with keyboard issues I first shut the computer down then unplug the power cord and keyboard cord, wait a short while then put things back and try again. It's usually static electricity, frequently unfelt, that causes problems, the plastics used are not always insulating [my wife killed a motherboard that way]. I also carry two spare keyboards when going to clients, one PS/2 style and one USB style, to test the computer. With USB sometimes one can change the port used.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Have you tried repairing the Office installation?

Have you tried running Outlook with add-ins disabled?

Joe
    Actually, I've run the Office Repair both ways; Quick and Internet versions recently for other reasons. So it surprises me that this problem arises now.

As far as running Outlook with add-ins disabled, I haven't but how will I know that it's an add-in causing the problem when it always corrects itself after I restart Outlook and the problem only very occasionally (like 1 in a 100 times) occurs?

My guess is that some mis-typing may cause this problem. I was hoping that someone knew what keystrokes can start it.

Stu

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    Always with keyboard issues I first shut the computer down then unplug the power cord and keyboard cord, wait a short while then put things back and try again. It's usually static electricity, frequently unfelt, that causes problems, the plastics used are not always insulating [my wife killed a motherboard that way]. I also carry two spare keyboards when going to clients, one PS/2 style and one USB style, to test the computer. With USB sometimes one can change the port used.
    This is a laptop, so I am unable to "unplug the power cord and keyboard cord". Also, shutting down the computer means I'm closing Outlook which always fixes the problem. So how will I know removing all power from the computer is fixing it? Though, the static electricity suggestion is a real possibility because, living in upstate NY, the house has been using heat for awhile and the humidity in the house has definitely plunged with the possibility of causing static electricity. I haven't kept a record, but I believe this hasn't happened since last Spring. It's a possibility, but why only in Outlook? I also use Excel, Word, and Access and have never had it happen in those Office programs.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sb06794 View Post
    This is a laptop, so I am unable to "unplug the power cord and keyboard cord".
    But you can remove the power/charging cord and the battery.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    But you can remove the power/charging cord and the battery.
    How will I know that helps since it requires shutting down Outlook which fixes the problem without shutting down?
    Stu