Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 10 not recognizing SATA connected drive but sees it when connected to USB adapter

Have a 1TB hard drive that was once in one of my other systems. I upgraded and stored this one away for emergency.

Needed to recover some old data from it so connected it directly to the motherboard via SATA connector. Windows will not recognize it in Explorer or Computer Management/Storage.

I connect it, via a sata<>USB adapter and plug the adapter into a USB port and Windows then recognizes it in both Explorer and Computer management.

The problem is that connecting it via USB is a very slow connection. This will work as a workaround but need to determine why the SATA connection doesn't see the drive.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Is the drive recognized by the BIOS or UEFI when connected to a SATA port?

Jerry

Lounger
    Thanks
    Full story...

Sata drives are supposed to be hot swapable, which I tried just plugging it in..no dice. I then rebooted and see that BIOS sees it. Started Windows and the drive was not seen in Explorer. Went to Computer Management/Storage and there it was. I had to manually assign a drive letter for Explorer to see it.

So, I now see it but why isn't Windows automatically assining a drive letter on boot?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Once you assign a drive letter, it should be remembered by Windows. If you have a UEFI BIOS that could be the ultimate source of the problem since UEFI combined with Windows 8.x and above can be fussy. I have also seen a couple of cases of Windows 10 not seeing a secondary drive on startup one time but seeing it the next. I haven't seen that problem though since the last few Win10 updates.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    SATA can be hot swappable but not many mobos support that.
    New disks need to be assigned a drive letter, but as you've already initialized the USB port it keeps that letter.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    And swapability will need to be turned on in Bios/Uefi in some M/Bs.
    I have found (in W7) if a drive is not recognized when it is turned on in an external eSATA enclosure a rescan from storage manager can bring it into focus for windows.

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    Hot-swap has to be enabled on the motherboard for specific SATA ports to work correctly. Once enabled a port is made"live" at a low power level which lets it "see" a drive when it is plugged in, and the port is then brought up to normal voltage. Disk Management can then see the drive, but it must have a drive letter assigned before Explorer can see it.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows