New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 7 to Windows 10 and back to lock in free upgrade?

I have a number of computers, all running Windows 7, with the update system set to "Never Check...". I manually update as needed, so I have not been bugged by the Windows 10 upgrade. And I am not interested in it now, because my home entertainment system is built around Windows Media Player [EDIT: WINDOWS MEDIA CENTER] which I refuse to get rid of for now and it has been pretty bug-free for me.

The fact, however, that MS is offering a free upgrade if done within the 1st year is very appealing - sooner or later I will have to switch. I would like to make it as 'later' as possible, but still get it for free.

My question - If I:

1) do a complete image backup using an external program (e.g. Acronis) of my current system

2) allow the update to Windows 10 to take place and 'register it'

3) do a full image backup of Windows 10

4) restore the image from Windows 7 and save my Windows 10 image

Can I then restore my Windows 10 image in a year or two and be OK? Or will registering the Windows 10 on computer "X" make Windows 7 no longer work that same computer (e.g. I will start getting an 'Illegal Version of Windows' screen)?

Thanks

Frank in Michigan
    Last edited by FMinMI; 2015-11-19 at 14:43.

Thanks
    Do you mean Windows Media Centre? WMP is available on Win 10.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    Do you mean Windows Media Centre? WMP is available on Win 10.
    Yes, Windows Media Center. I have used it ever since it came out back in 2005 (or there abouts). My bad...
    Last edited by FMinMI; 2015-11-19 at 14:45.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    As MS seems to want us all to be on W10 they may extend the free upgrade. Let's wait and see - still 7 months to go.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FMinMI View Post
    Can I then restore my Windows 10 image in a year or two and be OK? Or will registering the Windows 10 on computer "X" make Windows 7 no longer work that same computer (e.g. I will start getting an 'Illegal Version of Windows' screen)?

Thanks

Frank in Michigan
    Frank That first is the $64,000 question!
    The other is knowable, but I do not know the answer.

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I recovered from Win 10 by factory resetting my Win 7 laptop and then restored with a system image to the way it was before the upgrade.

I had no choice in the way I reverted because the Start button went dead on me.

Fortunately I had the laptop to permanently boot from CD/DVD and USB before the HDD because the F2 and F12 buttons wouldn't work - not sure if this was because Win 10 boots up a lot quicker than Win 7, so it will be something to bear in mind before you upgrade.

I don't know if going back into Win 10 if it would still recognise this laptop's Win 7 key, but a 1 or 2 year old system image may work like a factory reset to Win 10 as after that amount of time it will have moved on quite a bit with subsequent updates, but it does sound like a plan - only time will tell.

Perhaps you should put your theory into practice a couple of months before the deadline to see if the Win 10 image will get you back into Win 10 and if it doesn't, then it will be decision time.

I would think the Win 7 system image would work to get you directly back to Win 7 as anything on the HDD is then overwritten with that image with the previous data being lost, so doing it vice versa should equally work.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-11-20 at 10:47.

Thanks
    I've done that (for different reasons) and it will work, but I had to have MS Support get my Windows 10 to Activate.

A word of advice to anyone who must use MS Support for Windows 10 issues; if you're not getting satisfaction from a tech, end that session and start another. There is a very wide disparity in the knowledge and skills within MS Support staff. Rarely have I gotten what I needed on the first try, but through perseverance I've always made it through to the other side.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

Prescott (2015-11-22),wavy (2015-11-22)