5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question Mouse problems on Laptop after Win 10 install

I recently installed Windows 10 on my MSI laptop. This problem didn't start after initial installation, but only about a week ago - install was about 3-4 weeks ago.

The laptop has a built-in mouse pad and the ability to plug a regular mouse into the computer. Plugging in the external mouse is supposed to de-activate the on board mouse pad and a small light is activated on the keyboard to indicate this status. In the past week, when I start up WIN 10, the onboard light flashes like a strobe and displays a similar flashing symbol on the screen. I can get this flashing symbol to go away by randomly hitting a number of letter keys. This activates the on board mouse, but plugging in the external mouse does not deactivate it in favour of the external mouse. When I plug it in, I get a "sound" indicating that something is being plugged in and I also get a sound when I unplug it. Until I can get this resolved, I am loathe to install Win 10 on my desktop.

I can only guess that I have inadvertently pressed some "action" key to cause this to happen. My question is how do I get the "deactivation" to occur so I can use the external mouse. Any ideas that anyone would care to share will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ron M

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Nobody?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It could be FN+F3 to disable the touchpad or it may be as in this article http://www.ehow.com/how_7146535_disa...chpad-msi.html but your user manual will be more definitive.

These normally come installed on a laptop but if your model is included these, then you can download the PDF.

https://www.manualowl.com/c/MSI/Laptop/Manuals

I don't get this problem on a Toshiba laptop as I can use both the wireless mouse and Touchpad without any conflict.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-11-21 at 05:50.

Thanks
    I don't get this problem on a Toshiba laptop as I can use both the wireless mouse and Touchpad without any conflict.
    Same here on my HP laptop. Both work seamlessly on Win 10 just as it did on Win 7 before the upgrade. Not sure why it wouldn't on an MSI laptop.

Thanks
    Check in Control Panel > Mouse. See if there is a separate tab for your Touchpad settings. Check there for a setting to disable the touchpad when an external mouse is plugged in. That's where it is on my laptop. It gets cleared every time I install a new build and I have to reset it.

Jerry