New Lounger
    Thanks

Unresponsive Word 2010 installation

I'm running Word 2010 on a similar 8.1 upgrade as Mikefa in thread http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...-forces-reboot and have what sounds like identical problems on my desktop. In my case it isn't an Office XP issue so I'd be interested in the possible solution for this.

Mikea has done more diagnostic testing than me, but I can confirm the only way out for me is a reboot after waiting a considerable time for it to respond. In my case the "Not responding" issue was getting worse to the extent I've switched over to a notebook, running the same versions as the desktop and haven't had the same problem - other than a genuine "Not responding" that was due to having to wait for something to finish on the (much) slower system. This all seemed to start with the 8.1 updates as part of the Win10 upgrade offer - which I still haven't got around to installing...
    Last edited by macropod; 2015-11-19 at 16:17. Reason: Split to new thread

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeyIR View Post
    I'm running Word 2010 on a similar 8.1 upgrade as Mikefa and have what sounds like identical problems on my desktop. In my case it isn't an Office XP issue so I'd be interested in the possible solution for this.

Mikea has done more diagnostic testing than me, but I can confirm the only way out for me is a reboot after waiting a considerable time for it to respond. In my case the "Not responding" issue was getting worse to the extent I've switched over to a notebook, running the same versions as the desktop and haven't had the same problem - other than a genuine "Not responding" that was due to having to wait for something to finish on the (much) slower system. This all seemed to start with the 8.1 updates as part of the Win10 upgrade offer - which I still haven't got around to installing...
    It seems it is a larger issue than mentioned so far. I have an 8.1 lenovo I7 12gb ram upgraded to Windows 10. I am using Office 2010 and both my Word and Excel hang periodically. The advice to wait it out is sound in my case because after several minutes of delay the programs come back and then can be used again without re-boot. The hang usually happens on a save associated with large copy/paste activities but not always. Oddly the computer is not frozen and I can play Snood or do other non-office related activities while I wait. (this may be a windows 10 compartmentalisation feature). It is a PITA when under pressure and if there is a fix I would love to hear it.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeyIR View Post
    This all seemed to start with the 8.1 updates as part of the Win10 upgrade offer - which I still haven't got around to installing...
    In that case, I suggest checking your Windows Update history - you may find repeated failed attempts to upgrade your system. While that is going on, apps like Word can become unresponsive.

Note: I've split your post off to a new thread as the issues do not seem to be related to those under discussion in the original thread.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lief View Post
    It seems it is a larger issue than mentioned so far. I have an 8.1 lenovo I7 12gb ram upgraded to Windows 10. I am using Office 2010 and both my Word and Excel hang periodically.
    Problems with Office functionality following a Windows 10 upgrade are widespread. Have you tried repairing the Office installation (via Start > Windows Control Panel > Programs > Programs & Features > Microsoft Office (version) > Change>Repair)?

Note: I've also split your post off to the new thread as the issues do not seem to be related to those under discussion in the original thread.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]