Lounger
    Thanks

Quirky Win10 upgrade info

After scratching around and around and finally contacting MS help desk because "Get Windows 10" was stuck on a previous MOBO with an incompatible Nvidia driver. MS help desk indicated I would need to reinstall win7 even though MOBO changed to Gigabyte with intel cpu and drivers. Also spent a lot of time trying to download the Win10 media... but couldn't.

Well, yesterday, happened to look at Get Windows and it now shows upgrade download is ready.

I'm leary of going through a lot if not all of the problems other readers expressed.

I'm thinking a 4 or 5 month cooling off period may be good before the wedding to this FREE upgrade.

Any ideas, mostly use my system for email, info searching and other browsing.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If you create a full external system image and the Win 10 ISO disk to boot up with to get to the recovery environment to use the system image should you go over the 30 days before you decide it isn't for you, then you should be okay - but you can revert within the 30 day period.

One other thing, before you upgrade, go into the BIOS to permanently change the boot order to CD/DVD before HDD as you may not be able to do it after the upgrade and after the upgrade, enable System Protection so you will have restore points enabled as they are default disabled in Win 10.

Thanks
    enable System Protection so you will have restore points enabled as they are default disabled in Win 10
    @Sudo15
    Currently ( with system restore turned on ) Win 10 updates do not make restore points on my HP laptop. All of the HP updates create a restore point but if I want one for a win 10 update I have to manually create it before letting it install.

I'm thinking a 4 or 5 month cooling off period may be good before the wedding to this FREE upgrade.
    I think that is a prudent decision especially after wading through the forums because many people have had a myriad of problems with the upgrade. I upgraded my HP laptop and things went pretty well but there are some disappointments and I don't see any reason to upgrade the other Win 7 machines in the house until forced to. I haven't seen anything on Win 10 that would make me want to upgrade at this point.
    Good luck

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    95, hello.

No ant at your picnic but here is my Restore app, eg:

0Restore.jpg

I am able to see points and also to make my own, there is one called Mine in that list. The top one was made this am as I was getting the Cumulative Update V1511 (KB3118754) that gave me the 10586.11.

All best wishes. Jean.

Thanks
    Glad it works for you Jean, it certainly doesn't for me anymore ( at least for WU'S ). As I said, everything else makes a restore point.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    That's definitely another -1 for MS in the updates saga in not creating an auto restore point before installing updates, given how many have broken Windows for some.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    95, cheers.

You will also notice that my OS makes its own Points when getting a critical update, twice ! Useless question here but you did go into the Restore validation and enabled your c:\ ??? Sorry !

All best wishes. Jean.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by handcuff36 View Post
    95, cheers.

You will also notice that my OS makes its own Points when getting a critical update, twice ! Useless question here but you did go into the Restore validation and enabled your c:\ ??? Sorry !

All best wishes. Jean.
    Yes Jean, as soon as it upgraded to Win 10. Originally it made 1 restore point for the first WU and then no more. Restore points for ALL other installations are made by Sys. Res. but Win 10 updates are not.
    For some reason it is selective in not making Win 10 restore points only.