New Lounger
    Thanks

Favorites and History (IE 5)

Hi,

I had a user who goes to particular sites on a regular basis. Needless to say these are bookmarked and also in his history.

They were working fine yesterday but today he is getting access denied when he tries to go to the sites via his favorites.

I had the user type the sites manually and he can get to them OK. I checked all his internet option settings, cleared off line files etc but still the favorites didn't work.

To cure it i cleared his history, deleted the favorites and had him manually access the sites and add them again to his favorites, which worked as did the new entries in the history.

However i am curious as to what may have caused this, is there a known bug or is there file(s) which can become corrupted? Anyone came across this before? i couldn't see anything in the knowledge base which is not to say there isn't something there.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Regards
    George

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Favorites and History (IE 5)

Did typed URLs exactly match the ones from shortcuts in Favorites and in the history? Sometimes websites change its default webpages (form index.html to default.asp for example) and such change can affect connection from saved URL.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for replying, that was my initial thought as thats happened lots of times, websites can change every so often, but on this occasssion it was every single favorite he had and that was to many to be a coincidence especially as they were all working the previous day. He didn't know of anything that would have been installed or altered that would have affected them.

Could be it is just a corruption somewhere, it was just that it peaked my interest a bit and wondered if anyone had come across it before.

Regards
    George

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

George,

What operating system is this person using, and if the computer is networked, do you know of any recent login changes?

I would suggest copying the favorites folder to a floppy, taking it to a different PC altogether, and trying to access them from there. I'd lay money that it works OK from a different machine (but I'm not saying how much money).
    -Mark

New Lounger
    Thanks

The OS is Windows 95 and yes it is networked. As far as i know there have been no login changes but there are periodic forced changes set for passwords.

As for copying them its to late to try that i'm afraid, he just redone them, but thats an interesting theory any reason why it would work and if it did and they were copied back again to the original machine would they then work do you think?.

If i see this again i'll try what you suggested though and if it doesn't work i'll let you know my swiss bank account number for payment ;-)

Regards
    George

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

To answer your question about why it might work, it's because there may be a problem with the file system on his computer or restrictions applied in some way. A networked machine can also have a login script run that will change things without your knowledge.

If copied back to the original machine and there was a problem with the file system, you would be creating a new file, along with new entries in the file system's table, so there is a good change that it would make a difference. A damaged entry for the Favorites folder would cause just such a thing. However, if there were restrictions added to that machine, and apparently there are not since the user re-created the bookmarks, they still would not work.

That's the reasoning - in simpler terms, it's a process of elimination. If the bookmarks work on another computer, you know the problem is with the first computer and not the bookmarks themselves.
    -Mark

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your time in replying. It is possible something could have changed on the login script. this script depending on the user locks down the desktop and does affect registry settings. I wondered more if somethign could have caused a corruption within the registry itself, i guess it would all be shooting in the dark. If it happens again i'll give your suggestion a try and copy them to another PC just to satisfy my own curiosity.

Thanks again.
    George