New Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy Can't Upgade to Win 10

I have been trying almost weekly to upgrade from my fully patched and updated Win 8.1 with no success. The upgrade downloads, all the many MB's of it, but it fails immediately after the download. The error # has varied somewhat, and I don't even have the #'s anymore out of frustration. I downloaded the Media Creation Tool to try that approach, but MCT itself wouldn't run. I have run deep scan's for viruses and malware using the paid versions of Vipre and MBAM and have no hits from either. My account is an Administrator account, and I have also tried with the built-in Admin account.

The laptop is a Lenovo Thinkpad W540 w/ 8GB ram and an Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40GHz, 2394 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s) 64-bit processor. The HDD is NTFS and has >800 GB free space. The OS is Win 8.1 Pro. I just noticed that even though the cpu is Intel the PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE environment variable is set to AMD64 in case that is an issue.

My next attempt if I don't have success from suggestions here will be to take the laptop to my local Geek Squad to have them do it. I would really rather not do that if I don't have to. I will welcome any and all thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks,
    Molechaser!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You can either retry the upgrade with the button in https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10 but if you expand the article it will describe how to do a clean install.

That ISO download includes Threshold 2 update.

If you don't have a COA sticker key to activate with, then download Belarc Advisor which will list the product key.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

If you still have problems then you should be able to get free help by contacting Microsoft who'll probably link up to your computer.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-11-20 at 09:57.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    None of that solved the issue, although I have yet to contact Microsoft. The really puzzling thing to me is that Media Creation Tool won't run after I download it. When I start MCT the screen blinks and then nothing else happens. I'll resolve this issue either with Microsoft or The Geek Squad. Thanks for the suggestions Sudo15.

Molechaser.