New Lounger
    Thanks

Wi-Fi on a desktop recommendations?

i have wi fi in my home already that i have my laptop , printer and PS4 connected to. Now my daughter needs internet on her desk top for school. Apparently this hp6305 desk top does't come with a wi fi card, so I;m trying to go the cheapest route possible for the time being [my job ended] with christmas around the corner i just don't have it. I was wondering is there's any way to plug the desktop unto one of those listed to receive the wi fi from it , such as the printer.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Lynette,

Welcome to the Lounge as a new poster!

How are you getting your Wi-Fi? Usually the router/modem that either the Cable company or Phone company installs has RJ-45 Ethernet ports on the back. According to HP support your 6305 has a RJ-45 connector. So for the price of a Cat-5 cable you're in business.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Most desktops don't come with a wi-fi card, but there are lots of ways to do it for $10 or $20: "wifi for desktop" at Amazon.com

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynette Finch Clements View Post

i have wi fi in my home already that i have my laptop , printer and PS4 connected to. Now my daughter needs internet on her desk top for school. Apparently this hp6305 desk top does't come with a wi fi card, so I'm trying to go the cheapest route possible....
    I'd go with a USB wifi adapter. With an Internet connection a 54Mbps will do.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Beware the cheap sticks -- they look like thumb drives. The ones I bought were a waste of money. I ended up buying a Netgear USB Wifi Ariel with a 50cm lead. Enables me to experiment easily with different positions and so improve the reception. A worthwhile investment.

Thanks
    The cable-connect method will always give you the fastest and most stable connection to the Internet.
    But, that's not always possible, like when the desktop PC is in another part of the house than the WiFi router. I've been there myself.

That problem plagued me to the extent that I bought several Edimax, USB WiFi adapters.
    http://www.amazon.com/Edimax-EW-7722...V87GF9V9CBJZ2F

Just plug the USB adapter into any USB port, load the driver software that comes with the device and you're ready to go.

This one is rated at 300Mbps 802.11n, but will work with almost any WiFi router. But best of all, it's not a bank breaker.

Good Luck, and Happy Holidays,
    The Doctor
    Last edited by DrWho; 2015-12-03 at 08:17.
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWho View Post
    The cable-connect method will always give you the fastest and most stable connection to the Internet.
    But, that's not always possible, like when the desktop PC is in another part of the house than the WiFi router. I've been there myself.

That problem plagued me to the extent that I bought several Edimax, USB WiFi adapters.
    http://www.amazon.com/Edimax-EW-7722...V87GF9V9CBJZ2F

Just plug the USB adapter into any USB port, load the driver software that comes with the device and you're ready to go.

This one is rated at 300Mbps 802.11n, but will work with almost any WiFi router. But best of all, it's not a bank breaker.

Good Luck, and Happy Holidays,
    The Doctor
    I had good luck with Belkin router and Belkin USB adapter. Converted two computers with no problems. It may pay to match the make of router and the make of adaptor.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you are reasonably close to the router, then the USB plugins will work - just avoid the really cheap "no-name" brands.

A slightly better solution is (or used to be) a wireless access point or bridge. This picks up the WiFi signal and has an Ethernet port you can plug into.

A powerline ethernet adapter is worth the money if you aren't close enough to the router to get a strong signal. You can even setup a mini network or a separate wifi router to cover another part of the house.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)