Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just curious

Thanks

Just curious

I'm still on Win 10 ver 10240 as I haven't received the Nov. update yet. HP ProBook 450G upgraded from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro on 8/4/15.
    I check the Reliability Monitor quite often to see what has D/Lded after bootup. For the last couple weeks, win 10 seems to be "Reconfiguring" everything
    on my laptop and also updating win 10 apps daily.
    Just curious if anyone else has noticed this since it only started happening a couple of weeks ago to this extent.
    Note: Today was 167 apps including an HP update ( other days are approx. the same number ). I'm only curious about all the Win 10 apps and drivers that are reconfiguring daily.

Reliability Monitor.JPG

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I JUST received the original upgrade to Windows 10 for free message on my system yesterday...yes, yesterday. Who knows how many thousands and thousands of configurations are being "looked at" and jiggered to make everything compatible...and still failing early and often in my case.

...or, you might have a loop bug.

Dr. Strangelove has never been more applicable.

Thanks
    Gosh FUN, now I don't feel neglected by waiting for the Nov. update, LOL

Thanks
    Hmm, I guess my laptop is special. All that reconfiguring loads the temp file with about 190 MB per day by itself. So I guess I will just have to run CCleaner every day.
    Something else that doesn't thrill me with win 10.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, my record is still intact, the offered upgrade seems to be performing well, except, the taskbar is FUBAR. I unloaded ClassicShell and Stardock before the upgrade too. Most persistent problem is there is no context menu, just a grey column with a couple carots that only produce more blank grey menu. Back to the old drawing board I guess; literally.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    So did you get off the update merry-go-round lumpy? After a painless loop back to Win Hate, I threw the tea leaves in the air again and this time I think it stuck. Too early to tell for certain but where I had only carots, I now have full content context menus. It failed a small test I tried where I play a game at a different resolution than the desktop is in and then exit the game and observe how well it recovers to the original resolution. It did ok except the taskbar collapsed down from two lines to one. Maybe a graphics update if there is one will solve that. Certainly not enough reason to send Win 10 back to remedial school for the 5th straight time, yet.
    I turned off all the nosey and sharing bandwidth settings and let Classic Shnell! update and keep on trucking, so I may not notice much difference, tiles and apps are almost universally a waste of space for me.

Thanks
    I'm still on 10240, no upgrade to the new build yet. Actually the original upgrade to win 10, 10240 was pretty painless other than some drivers that HP was slow to deliver and MS updated some of them.
    Unfortunately I am just not impressed with win 10 over win 7 as an OS. Especially with all the privacy erosion that I had to track down and turn off. I realize that win 10 is new and I'm sure there will be lots of changes but I just don't really care and I no longer trust MS to do the right thing even though it will have to be faced after 2020 on my other computers.

Thanks
    Use the Media Creation Tool to perform the upgrade to Version 1511. Use the Download tool now button on this page:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10

Jerry

Thanks
    Thanks Jerry, but I think I'll just wait and see how all this plays out. Not much sense in being in a hurry to discover new problems as described in a number of posts ( although I might be one of the lucky ones ), LOL.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ya, I'm no hurry either, whatever version I have is good now, I have to admit it seems every bit as fast as my XP systems and I might...MIGHT even warm to a few apps now that they and the desktop behave about 6 BILLION percent better. It certainly confirms how ridiculously lobotomized Windows 8 is for non-touch environments.

Thanks
    I never liked the looks of win 8 so I never went there.

Thanks
    Well I think 8.1 is miles better than 7. And I have never ever found that it needed a touch environment. I thought people knew by now that touch is neither a prerequisite nor is it needed either. YMMV

I miss the start screen in 10, but I can live with that. I'm just upgrading my 'test' PC with the November update. We'll see what happens with that.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95 View Post
    I never liked the looks of win 8 so I never went there.
    Very wise! I had a refurb that came with 8 and tried it early in VM, so the VM is next if it ever gets around to offering it.

I thought people knew by now that touch is neither a prerequisite nor is it needed either.
    Indeed, I think that about sums up what Microsoft should have kept in mind instead of throwing the bias needle hard to starboard. Did 8 statistically ever pass Vista or is it forever the stinkeroo of all time?

jwoods

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    Well I think 8.1 is miles better than 7. And I have never ever found that it needed a touch environment. I thought people knew by now that touch is neither a prerequisite nor is it needed either. YMMV

I miss the start screen in 10, but I can live with that. I'm just upgrading my 'test' PC with the November update. We'll see what happens with that.
    Yes, not sure why some think Touch is required. 8.1 does fine w/out Touch.

I know it is not exactly the same, certainly, but... for someone who enjoyed the Start screen of 8.1, the Start menu of Win10 can be used 'Full Screen'. Maybe, you would like that approach.

> Settings > Personalization > Start > The 5th item down & switch from OFF to ON.

And once Full Screen can have it w/ the contextual menu and Tiles showing OR just Tiles. This is controlled w/ the Hamburger @ the top left.
    Last edited by Drew1903; 2015-12-04 at 20:21.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast