Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks

upgrade to Win10 in dual boot environment

i've got a laptop with dual boot set up between Windows Vista and Windows 8.1. i'd like to upgrade the 8.1 partition to 10, but i want to keep the dual boot with Vista -- IOW, have the dual boot now be between Vista and 10.

will the Win10 upgrade to the 8.1 partition leave my dual boot setup as is, or is it going to screw that up? i would think this should work fine, but every time i make an assumption about Microsoft, i end up paying dearly for it.

Thanks
    Windows 10 should recognize the dual boot and keep it intact.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Star Lounger E Pericoloso Sporgersi's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lhite View Post
    ... every time i make an assumption about Microsoft, i end up paying dearly for it.
    You think ???

A disk image saved before you do anything else may save your bacon.

If after the upgrade to Win10, its bootmenu doesn't see Vista any more, EasyBCD will probably get it back.

Something similar happened to me with firstly Win7/32 + secondly Win10/64 in dual boot.
    EasyBCD put the dropped Win7 entry back in my bootmenu.
    E Pericoloso Sporgersi
    "It is Dangerous to Lean Out! [of Windows]"

4. The Following User Says Thank You to E Pericoloso Sporgersi For This Useful Post:

lhite (2015-11-22)

Lounger
    Thanks
    thanks for the info on EasyBCD -- looks like a very useful tool, and particularly in this case if things go bonkers.

and yeah, most definitely will be imaging the drive before i venture down this road.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    lhite,

I upgraded my dual boot Dell laptop using EasyBCD to Win 10 ISO from the Media Creation Tool. Worked like a charm. Of course I had a complete Macrium Reflect Image of the drive before attempting this. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    lhite,

I upgraded my dual boot Dell laptop using EasyBCD to Win 10 ISO from the Media Creation Tool. Worked like a charm. Of course I had a complete Macrium Reflect Image of the drive before attempting this. HTH
    Does that mean you are booting the Iso? If so what boot manager are you using?

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    David,

No, sorry for the confusion, I installed from the ISO vs Windows Update. I'm using EasyBCD as my boot manager. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Ok I can be a bit dense at times too!

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    I'm still using the Windows 7 bootmgr. Windows 8/8.1 and 10 bootmgr partially load the default OS before presenting the boot menu; choose the non-default OS and it requires a complete reboot, a needless delay.

The Windows 7 bootmgr presents the boot menu first, eliminating that boot delay.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Lounger
    Thanks
    finally got around to doing the upgrade, and sure enough my dual boot was left intact, just as i had wanted it, just as everyone here said it would. thanks!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    ... Windows 8/8.1 and 10 bootmgr partially load the default OS before presenting the boot menu; choose the non-default OS and it requires a complete reboot, a needless delay.
    I think that's because you're using Win10's "hybrid shut down".
    With this feature enabled, Win10 partially hibernates instead of fully shutting down. Win10 calls it "fast start-up".

What you describe won't happen if that feature is disabled.

The switch to turn hybrid shutdown ON/OFF is in
    Settings / Power & sleep / Additional power settings /Choose what the power buttons do / Turn on fast start-up (recommended)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by E Pericoloso Sporgersi View Post
    I think that's because you're using Win10's "hybrid shut down".
    With this feature enabled, Win10 partially hibernates instead of fully shutting down. Win10 calls it "fast start-up".

What you describe won't happen if that feature is disabled.
    I've never used that "feature", disabled it as well as hibernation on my desktops on first boot after upgrading to Windows 8 and again to Windows 10.

What I describe won't happen using the Windows 7 bootmgr, but it will happen with the Windows 8 and Windows 10 bootmgr in a dual boot setup.

Trust me.

Windows 8 bootmgr

Windows 7 bootmgr
    Last edited by bbearren; 2015-11-29 at 01:23. Reason: added video links

Unleash Windows

Thanks

What I describe won't happen using the Windows 7 bootmgr, but it will happen with the Windows 8 and Windows 10 bootmgr in a dual boot setup.

Trust me.

Windows 8 bootmgr

Windows 7 bootmgr
    Hm, I'm confused.

In october I repartitioned my system SSD, which restored my PC to its brandnew (Febr 2015) and virginal condition, or almost anyway. Then:

1. I clean installed Win7/32 to the *4th* partition.

2. The boot manager showed 1 entry: Win7.

3. I clean installed Win10/64 to the *1st* partition and as default OS.

4. The boot manager still showed only 1 entry: but now it was Win10.

5. Win10 running, I coaxed EasyBCD to put the Win7 entry back in the boot manager as secondary OS.

6. After shutting down from Win10 with fast start OFF, the PC behaves like in your Windows 7 bootmgr video.

7. After shutting down from Win10 with fast start ON, the PC behaves like in your Windows 8 bootmgr video.

So finally, which boot manager am I running? 7 or 10?

I would say 10 because Win10 was installed after Win7, but you made me doubt my sanity.
    E Pericoloso Sporgersi

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by E Pericoloso Sporgersi View Post
    So finally, which boot manager am I running? 7 or 10?

I would say 10 because Win10 was installed after Win7, but you made me doubt my sanity.
    Which video does it look like? The Windows 7 bootmgr is CUI only, and the Windows 10 bootmgr defaults to GUI. Do you see the circling marbles? If so, it's not the Windows 7 bootmgr.

Also bear in mind that while bootmgr uses the BCD Store, it isn't part of the BCD Store. Bootmgr reads the boot menu from the BCD Store and offers it up at boot, then acts on the selection made. In addition, the behavior is a bit different between BIOS/MBR and UEFI/GPT systems. Is your system UEFI?

That's why I ask which video does it look like. The Windows 7 bootmgr will be white letters on a black screen. Also, the reboot only occurs if one chooses to load the non-default OS; choosing the default OS will not require a reboot.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2015-11-29 at 08:40. Reason: clarity

Unleash Windows

Thanks
    ... Do you see the circling marbles? If so, it's not the Windows 7 bootmgr. ... The Windows 7 bootmgr will be white letters on a black screen. ...
    As nobody else will ever access my computer - while I'm alive, that is - I configured it for BIOS/MBR boot. Win10 is default OS.

With fast start ON the monitor shows at power up:
    1. the computer dealer's splash screen (no owlish head), + the message Resuming from hibernation, all white on black, and NO setup or boot order options,
    2. the Win10 logo, light blue on black, and the ring of tail chasing marbles, white on black,
    3. the Win10/Win7 boot options, light blue graphics on darker blue, like in your bootmgr 8 clip, and further on the same behavior and looks, i.e. it reboots on Win7 choice.

With fast start OFF it shows:
    1. the computer dealer's splash screen + the setup and boot order options, white on black
    2. the Windows boot manager menu with 2 boot options, white letters on a black screen, no marble circles appeared yet,
    3. from there on it proceeds directly to the chosen option (no reboots either way), marbles for Win10, animated logo for Win7.

Still confused ...
    Last edited by E Pericoloso Sporgersi; 2015-12-02 at 02:07.
    E Pericoloso Sporgersi

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast