New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Outlook 2016, Windows 10 64-bit "incompatible"

As I teach Adult Education courses, I was anxious to install Office 2016 Professional on my Windows 10 64-bit laptop. I was HOPING to show it to my students, while the school system is still running Outlook 2010 on Windows 7.

Comcast.net is running IMAP, so I deleted my Office 2013 installation. BTW, I did NOT see an upgrade path, and paid for a FULL, NEW Office Pro 2016, for $300.00...

When I went to Microsoft's Support Site for Outlook, and ran the compatibility checker, it said that Outlook 2016 is not Compatible. I am used to being an unwitting Beta tester, but to have the current version of the OS, and the current version of Outlook be "incompatible" is beyond the pale, IMHO.

As an added bonus, me emails were not preserved, and two years of Inbox emails were reduced to about the last six months. Quelle Surprise! Last night, I checked again, and I only have October and November's emails in the inbox. I know that POP mail needed to be converted to IMAP, but most of my (on this computer) folders are hidden. e.g., POP "Contacts" are now Contacts1 (on this computer), but exporting to PST and then trying to import does not work (for me). But each time I try, the "Contacts", which are now all vCARDS, multiply by about one hundered or so.

How can I revive my old emails, and keep Outlook 2016 from chewing up any more folders and individual emails?

Thanks in advance to any Outlook gurus. Neither Microsoft nor Comcast could help me with this. Comcast (support in india) gave up, and Microsoft did not offer ANY help on the Office/Outlook Support sites.

KitvS

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kit von Sück View Post
    When I went to Microsoft's Support Site for Outlook, and ran the compatibility checker, it said that Outlook 2016 is not Compatible. I am used to being an unwitting Beta tester, but to have the current version of the OS, and the current version of Outlook be "incompatible" is beyond the pale, IMHO.
    Could you provide a link to that compatibility checker? I'm curious to see what you saw.

I upgraded to Outlook 2016 on Windows 10 a couple of months ago with one of two accounts being Comcast IMAP, and I still have emails there for the last 15 months; but I don't yet know how your situation could be improved I'm afraid.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    When I first installed Microsoft Office 2010 64-bit [first version available as either 32-bit or 64-bit] I had to uninstall ALL of earlier 32-bit Office applications including older Viewers. I lost FrontPage 2003 as it caused the incompatibility but not a bad thing, went to the newer Microsoft Expression Web which worked better with my Domain Hosting service who wanted to get away from supporting FrontPage extensions.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Compatibility Office Pro 64-bit Widowss 10 Compatibility Checker (not compatibile w/Win 10)

I used the Windows 10 local Compatibility checker. But the MS OFFICE site is confused too. It thinks Office 2016 is for Mac only... Only lists 2013 in other places, etc. Pretty discouraging.

I bought a full new copy, rather than an update, do add insult to injury. I now have LESS than a month's mail in my inbox. I was informed that "all my mail is on the server, if it's IMAP." It isn't...

Here is the screen capture:

Outlook 2016 is Incompatable with Windoes 10.jpg

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    The incompatibility report is just a problem with the troubleshooter. I'm running Outlook 2016 on several Win10 devices. They all run just fine. Check you account settings. Go to File | Account settings | Account settings. Select the account then click the "change" button on the email tab. At the bottom right there is a slider "Mail to keep offline". Set it to what you want. OK your way out. Re-start Outlook.

Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kit von Sück View Post
    But the MS OFFICE site is confused too. It thinks Office 2016 is for Mac only... Only lists 2013 in other places, etc. Pretty discouraging.
    There are lots of Office 2016 products for PC, and they're all listed as compatible with Windows 10:

System requirements for Office

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    This shows Office 2016 is available for both Windows and Mac OS X:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Office_2016
    First time they used the same version number.

Could be the wrong version got installed somehow, might use Programs and Features to either Reinstall/Repair or Uninstall what you have and try again.