5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hotmail using Windows Live Mail 2012 spams

I created a Hotmail account using Windows Live Mail 2012 back in April as my Microsoft account when I signed up for my Windows 10 Insider Program. All I've used it for is to keep up with Gabe Paul's messages and follow up on some of the informative links he includes: nothing else.
    --- However since day 1 I've been receiving spam emails on a daily basis.
    --- I haven't kept an exact record but I'd say about 7 a day.

I also have 2 yahoo email accounts and a Verizon email account and I've had those for years
    --- On these accounts I hardly receive any spam messages, I'd say about 5 a year in each one.

It astounds me how 1 of 4 accounts is so spammable
    --- Is there anything I can do about the Hotmail account?

In case it's helpful for you to know, my computer OS is Win7 Pro and I use IE11

jwoods
    Microsoft's advice for dealing with spam and other types of email abuse...

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ing-junk-email

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jwoods For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-11-23)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cmptrgy View Post
    I created a Hotmail account using Windows Live Mail 2012 back in April as my Microsoft account when I signed up for my Windows 10 Insider Program. All I've used it for is to keep up with Gabe Paul's messages and follow up on some of the informative links he includes: nothing else.

I also have 2 yahoo email accounts and a Verizon email account and I've had those for years
    --- On these accounts I hardly receive any spam messages, I'd say about 5 a year in each one.

I have a Hotmail address and get very little SPAM but it now opens in Outlook.com. That's been a change for awhile now. I also have an Outlook.com address and it seldom gets SPAM, actually seldom gets any E-Mail.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Berton For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-11-23)

jwoods
    I think Hotmail users were migrated to Outlook.com in 2013.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jwoods For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-11-23)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    "I think Hotmail users were migrated to Outlook.com in 2013"
    I think you are correct

I never did have an Outlook account but when I wanted to sign up for the Win10 Insider Program one of the recommendations was to use Hotmail and it went through just fine. Then I received an instant email from the outlook.com team. I have friends who do use outlook email without any spam problems.

I'm still using MSFT Office 2000 so maybe I'll activate the Outlook and then go on from there.
    However, I think I've read that I can use my Yahoo email account and even GMail as a MSFT account: is that possible?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    However, I think I've read that I can use my Yahoo email account and even GMail as a MSFT account: is that possible?
    I have been using my gmail account as my MS account login since the start of the Insider program with no issues. I just don't ever access my emails via Outlook.com.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mngerhold For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-11-24)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    All of the various iterations of email domains that Microsoft has spawned through the years now run on the outlook.com servers. That includes msn.com, live.com, Hotmail.com, outlook.com and anything else I've forgotten.

NB: all of those domains qualify as a Microsoft account too.

Joe

12. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-11-24)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    And then there's Microsoft's extra special this-will-confuse-them-for-sure-hee-hee of changing the name of Hotmail.com to Outlook.com even though it has NOTHING to do with the Microsoft Office mail program named Outlook.

The only worse name change i recall is when U.S. West phone company changed their name to QWEST. Strangely, this occurred not long after the company was punished for "slamming" customers with unwanted services and charges and failing to obey FCC regulations for long distance hookup, etc.

http://azdailysun.com/at-t-asks-that...7a55f5edc.html

A few later they changed the name again from QWEST to CenturyLink. Strangely, this occurred not long after some top executives of the company were exposed for dirty dealings.

https://www.sec.gov/news/press/2005-36.htm

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/19996449/n...-years-prison/

I'm sure glad Microsoft doesn't do stuff like that .....

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I had that problem years ago when I created an account under the name "dmac". I instantly began to get spam, as well as another person's legitimate mail. Seems someone else had it before me.
    Changed the name to a much more "spam proof" (as in longer with special characters) name and the problem was solved.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    Microsoft's advice for dealing with spam and other types of email abuse...
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ing-junk-email
    is more for phishing emails than for nuisance spam.

That page gives advice about how to deal with spam that actually holds threats, but not how to deal with nuisances. They only advise to move nuisances to the Junk folder. They do not indicate whether future email from the same sources will then be automatically moved to the Junk folder.

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmlou View Post
    is more for phishing emails than for nuisance spam.

That page gives advice about how to deal with spam that actually holds threats, but not how to deal with nuisances. They only advise to move nuisances to the Junk folder. They do not indicate whether future email from the same sources will then be automatically moved to the Junk folder.
    In that case, you could create a blocking filter for the domain the email originated from.

In Outlook.com > Settings menu > Options >

Blocked senders.jpg
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-11-27 at 19:07.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to jwoods For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-11-27)