New Lounger
    Thanks

MS Win2000 Update Problems

I have tried to download and install the December 13 Critical Update (Internet Explorer 6) at least half a dozen times. Each time, the download works like a charm. Each time, about 1/3 or the way through the install bar, installation croaks. I get the message that the updates was not installed, and please try again. I am running Win2000 Pro and a Dell Inspiron 7000 w/ 256meg and IE6. Any ideas as to what the problem may be??? TIA.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: MS Win2000 Update Problems

No idea what the cause may be, but corrupt installation of IE is a common one. When this happens to me I go through the following:
    (I do not leave critical updates uninstalled)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I too have had a problem. The update downloads OK but when I try to install it, it complains that I don't have IE6 installed and I very definitely do!!!

New Lounger
    Thanks

Finally found time to implement your suggestions.

Repair of IE6 via Add/Remove programs failed.

I reinstalled the OS...Actually, I chose "upgrade"...otherwise would have been forced to do a Clean install, with all that intails, I assume.

After the install, which went smoothly, if time consuming, I went through and did all the Windows 2000 upgrades. Also smooth, though time consuming.

I was at the default IE5, so went to upgrade to IE 6. anticipate a l o n g download via dial up. Was PLEASANTLY surprised. For some reasong, the install found what was necessary on my hard drive. Still took a while to decompress and install the files--but not the hours of download.

then went back to Windoze update, and VOILA! My laptop is now current.

thanks for the help and direction.