New Lounger
    Thanks

Sony camera .MTS video files and Windows 10

I have used a Sony DSCHX9V digital camera for a few years. It's not a high-end camera, but it serves my needs. I transfer photos and videos from it to my Windows computer by navigating to the camera's storage medium, and copying to an appropriate location on the computer, using Explorer. I recently upgraded to Windows 10, and discovered that, while the .JPG photos were listed in the camera's storage, a video was not listed at all. I checked, and it was on the camera, and I could play it there, but it just wasn't in the list of files. Video files, with this camera, have an .MTS extension, if that matters. So I contacted Sony, and they told me to install their PlayMemories Home software. I did so, and it does show, and allow copying of, .MTS files, but it takes up bunches of disk space, such as the 276 files it created yesterday when I used Windows Explorer -- not PlayMemories -- to transfer a handful of photos to the computer. (My guess is that PlayMemories hadn't finished cataloging my hard disk, which has several thousand photos on it, and it was completing the task. I hope.) I understand that some people like to use the cataloging software that comes with their cameras, or is previously installed on their computers, but I don't like it, and, until now, have avoided using such for a decade or so. Is there any way that anyone can suggest that will persuade Windows Explorer to find .MTS files on my camera's memory card? This would, I hope, allow me to uninstall PlayMemories, and the files it has created.

Thanks.

Thanks
    I use WinX HD Video Converter Deluxe, and there is also a free version. It can browse for files anywhere Explorer can go, and it lists MTS as one of the input file types it supports. It can convert to many output file formats.

I use MakeMKV to rip my Blu-ray discs to my hard drive, then WinX to convert the mkv file to mp4. The mp4 file will play in Windows Media Player in Windows 10.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. I tried your suggestion, but it doesn't solve the problem. For some reason, Windows Explorer can no longer see .MTS files on my camera, and WinX apparently uses Windows Explorer.

I also tried 5 different File utilities, recommended by Gizmo's freeware, and none of them show .MTS files as being on the camera, either.