Lounger
    Thanks

Question re: preparing laptop to give to charity.

I have removed all data from "documents, music, pictures, videos" as well as having uninstalled all of the programs I had put on it. I changed the name in the registry from my name to "Owner", which is what shows on the screen now when it finishes booting. However, in the navigation pane in Windows Explorer, under Users it still shows my name.

The only accounts in the system are "Owner" as administrator, and "Guest". I know zilch about user accounts, as I am the only person to have used this laptop, and have never needed (IMO) any other accounts.

Can someone please tell me how to change this so that "Owner" shows up under Users?

Many thanks.
    Lorraine in Westbank, BC

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Why not just factory reset it as it's an OEM machine ?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleRain63 View Post
    ...Can someone please tell me how to change this so that "Owner" shows up under Users?...
    "Control Panel\User Accounts\Manage another account\Create a new account" (e.g.: "User").

Once you have created the new account log out of your old account then log into the new account then go back into "Control Panel\User Accounts\Manage another account" and delete the old account. You can choose whether-or-not to delete the files in the old account.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

PurpleRain63 (2015-11-25)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    To Coochin's good advice I'd add to run a program like Eraser or CCLeaner and wipe the unused space on the disk. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

PurpleRain63 (2015-11-25)

Thanks
    1+ to the factory reset, defrag, then use CCleaner to wipe the freespace.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    To Coochin's good advice I'd add to run a program like Eraser or CCLeaner and wipe the unused space on the disk. HTH
    Thanks RG and Coochin. Just found out my daughter wants the laptop, and I'm sure by the time she's finished with it, there won't be any space that has not been rewritten, so I don't really think there's a need to scrub it. I'm sure it will be toast by the time she's through with it.

I do appreciate all the answers received - thanks guys/gals.
    Lorraine in Westbank, BC