3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

List Item Styles Not Restarting at 1 through locked down styles in template (MS Word 2007)

Hello,

I am using MS Word 2007 and am trying to get a list item style to restart at 1 each time a new Headiing 1 (e.g Chapter - CH1, CH2, CH3) is applied. But,
    right now, the list style continues on from the previous list item number and it will not restart.

I have tried a few things here and there but no luck - so I am open to new ideas.

My goal is to create a protected (locked down) .dot or .dotx file that I can use as a template to create new documents. And, I am only using the styles in the Styles Window.

I would prefer a simple style or set of styles (e.g. List_ItemL1, List_ItemL2, List_ItemL3, etc. - where L1, L2, L3 corresponds to Heading Level 1, 2 and 3).

Note, I have been trying to make it work using the MultiLevel List (verus plain old numbering) in MS Word 2007.

Overall, I am open to either approach - but at the end of the day, I would like to have a style of set of List Item styles that will work at any Heading (Indenture) Leve (1-9) and restart at 1, after each new H1 - and probably H2, etc.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide/offer on this List Item reset issue, using MultiLevel Lists.

Regards,

Jim

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    In my templates I use separate outline lists for Headings and other list types however this means I need a local restart on each list so the formatting is not fully style-based. A macro to do the list restart works like this
    Code:
    Sub ListRestart()
    Dim aList As ListFormat
    Set aList = Selection.Range.ListFormat
    aList.ApplyListTemplate ListTemplate:=aList.ListTemplate, _
      ContinuePreviousList:=False
    End Sub
    If you want to have the list restart automatically without a local reset you will need to merge the Headings and list elements into the same outline list. This reduces the number of 'Headings' you can have but not many documents go to level 9 anyway so there should be at least some levels available for you to use. For instance, if the levels 1-7 were used for Headings, you could then use levels 8-9 for two levels of a numbered list and have them restart on higher levels.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: List Item Styles Not Restarting at 1 through locked down styles in template (MS Word 2007)

Thanks for the reply Andrew, and the macro. I really appreciate it.

I see the Macro Code you provided does work in a protected (locked down styles driven) template, but you must highlight the numbering field (e.g. 4) you want changed and then run the macro.

This works great, but I am looking to have a specific style from the styles window, which can restart/reset the list numbering after a new Heading 1 (e.g. Chapter 2) and same hopefully
    for at least for heading level 2 and heading level 3. Is this possible? I tried one approach I found on the web by Defining Multilevel Lists with:

Heading Level 1 - N/A
    Heading Level 2 - restart list after Level 1
    Heading Level 3 - restart list after Level 2
    and so on

But, it did not work.

Attached, is a quick template I created.
    I highlighted where the list level is at number 4 - where it should reset to number 1 again.

The password for the sample template is: Test

It sounds like I need to merge headings and list elements into the same outline list, as you said, and I believe I may have attempted that, but with no luck.

Please look at the attached document and check out the MultiLevel List, if you can.

Thanks for any feedback you can provide on this question.

Regards,

Jim
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    The reason the lists are not restarting is because they are independent of the headings.

As Andrew mentioned in his post, in order to have the numbered paragraphs that appear under a heading to renumber as you describe, you must make them part of the heading structure, and not an independent list.

For example, Heading 1 is your large heading, Heading 2 should be formatted like your current List Number style. Set up Heading 3 as you now have Heading 2, and Heading 4 will be formatted like your List Number 2 style, and so forth. Set each one to restart after the previous level.

If you have more than four "main" Heading styles, this whole scheme won't work and you'll need to restart your independent lists manually.

I would have adjusted your sample document, but couldn't get past your password.

HTH, Kim

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Password is: Test

New Lounger
    Thanks
    If you have not used Shauna's magnificent contribution to multi-level numbering on styles and headings, go here:

http://shaunakelly.com/word/numberin...g20072010.html

Although Shauna has passed from this plane, and is now solving the Word problems in the afterlife, her legacy lives on. Her words of wisdom [and you have to follow her instructions to the letter and in the exact order] have assisted me to keep over 350 people happy about their styles.

The instructions basically are:

1. Create a multi-level #erring scheme first, and apply a style to each level. If using Headings, it's really easy. But sometimes it has to be other styles (Like Level1, etc.). This is saved as the ListParagraph. MAKE SURE IT IS THE WAY YOU WANT IT! Changing simple #ering on the fly is easy -- linked ones are not. Get it correct the FIRST time.

2. Handle each style in the following way, and link them together, by first changing Font, then Paragraph, then add more Tabs if necessary.

3. DO NOT TOUCH Numbering] at that point; it will screw up your multi-level schem. For example, we use .5 inch tab markings; Word's default is weird: .25, .138, etc. So the default will pop back in your list and give you nothing but headaches. Go back to 1. above. DO NOT TRY TO FIX OR YOU WILL SPEND COUNTLESS HOURS CHASING YOUR TAIL.

I hope this helps in your quest.

MaryDiva

Read Shauna's page first.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to marydiva For This Useful Post:

Charles Kenyon (2015-12-07)

Thanks
    Hey Jim,

I've fiddled with your document and provided the attached. I did it quickly, just to give you the idea.
    Attached Files Attached Files

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Kim for your assistance. I was probably having a senior moment with this one. :-)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello MaryDiva,

I believe that is the process I had followed before, but it did not work for me. Perhaps, I was touching the numbering, as you mentioned in step 3.

Thanks for the info.

Jim

Thanks
    My pleasure Jim. I've been wrestling with Word's listtemplate paragraph numbering since the Word 97 beta. It's gotten different (if not better) over the years as they've struggled to improve the UI, and you such can do a lot with it if you have patience and the vocabulary of a dock worker.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Kim and Jim, you are both correct. I believe I have become the most patient developer I know, because of wrestling with multi-level #ering. I also have the vocabulary of that dock worker so can cuss up a storm when things start twisting in Word.

I have found if I follow Shauna's instructions to the letter, it works. I design very complicated #ering contract/agreement templates for my clients. They want to have it work all the time, but what they don't realize is that as soon as they start messing with the # portion of any style, Word snaps back to its own defaults, no matter what I have set them to do.

So then, I tell my client-users, fix it on the ruler. And then use the format-painter to paint the style on all the offending paragraphs.

Sanity has ensued.

I wish you and yours the best this holiday season.

MaryDiva (the name my friends call me is even longer: MotherMaryDiva, because I tend to mother everyone, my name is Mary, and I am a Diva when necessary--attorneys fear me!)