2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can't get Hotmail working again in Outlook 2007

On Nov 14 I got an email from MS viz

Hello,
    In the next few weeks we’ll be making some updates that will impact your @outlook.com, @hotmail, @live, or @msn email account. Those changes will prevent your email from getting delivered to the Outlook desktop application you use. When you notice that you stop receiving messages, simply follow these two steps:

For Outlook 2007 customers:
    1. Remove your email account from your Outlook 2007 desktop application
    2. Re-add your email account to your Outlook 2007 desktop application
    On Monday Nov 22 mail stopped flowing to/from my hotmail account in my desktop Outlook 2007. So I did the above 2 steps, but the mail is still not flowing.

One thing I noticed is that the 'new' hotmail account in Outlook 2007 doesn't have a data file and I can't figure out how to create one. But I am not sure it had one before.

I don't keep messages in the account, once a I've read a message, and if necessary answered it, then either I delete the message or I move it to a folder in a separate "Storage" PST.

I can access the mail online OK, but I want to have it in outlook 2007 so that I can file things locally etc. I don't like relying on the internet for storage and I have plenty of local disk space.

TIA RP

Thanks
    If you really want to keep your Hotmail locally, create a pop account:
    http://www.groovypost.com/howto/outl...op3-smtp-imap/

Jerry

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

northwood2222 (2015-11-25)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Do you have the Hotmail connector installed? I recall having to uninstall it and reinstall it to get it to work after some update or another. Sorry I can't be more specific but that is several Office releases ago for me and I'm dealing with fuzzy memories of Office 2007 these days.

Joe

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post

Jerry
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Do you have the Hotmail connector installed? I recall having to uninstall it and reinstall it to get it to work after some update or another. Sorry I can't be more specific but that is several Office releases ago for me and I'm dealing with fuzzy memories of Office 2007 these days.
    Thanks guys

My bioram ain't what it used to be either, as I recall I set up my mail on XP and Office 2003. Miraculously since then its always, 'just' worked - only problem I've had with mail in more than a decade was the demise of Lavabit.

I'll try reinstalling the connector but I like the idea of using POP3 (I didn't know it was possible with hotmail accounts), hopefully that means I can ditch outlook connector. I'm of the school that says -- when it comes to ITC the less plumbing the better. I have some dormant .live.com accounts I can play with.

I report back in a day or two.

nw

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post

Jerry
    Jerry, that article wrongly states that Outlook (.com) doesn't support IMAP, but I've had an IMAP account using Thunderbird for some time, and it works fine.

If anyone wants to know, the servers are:

imap-mail.outlook.com, port 993, SSL/TLS, normal password
    smtp-mail.outlook.com, port 587, STARTTLS, normal password

8. The Following User Says Thank You to tonyl For This Useful Post:

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyl View Post
    Jerry, that article wrongly states that Outlook (.com) doesn't support IMAP, but I've had an IMAP account using Thunderbird for some time, and it works fine.

If anyone wants to know, the servers are:

imap-mail.outlook.com, port 993, SSL/TLS, normal password
    smtp-mail.outlook.com, port 587, STARTTLS, normal password
    @tonyl - Your blood's worth bottling

The Outlook Connection reinstall didn't fix the problem (basically the account was as dead as a dodo), nor did the POP 3 solution at groovypost (couldn't logon - bad account name or password).

But your IMAP solution worked fine with the same email addy and password and that settings as you have in TB.

BTW the email addy and password were cut and pasted in all three - that I tested first in online Outlook

I've uninstalled OL,

Thanks to you all, for your help, hopefully I can repay you sometime.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    As ports and SSL/TLS requirements vary among various email systems, I always just do a search for "xxxxx" email setup on the net (where xxxx is yahoo, google etc). Many people have been here before you. No need to bottle Tonyl's blood...he probably needs it...LOL

K

Quote Originally Posted by northwood2222 View Post
    @tonyl - Your blood's worth bottling

The Outlook Connection reinstall didn't fix the problem (basically the account was as dead as a dodo), nor did the POP 3 solution at groovypost (couldn't logon - bad account name or password).

But your IMAP solution worked fine with the same email addy and password and that settings as you have in TB.

BTW the email addy and password were cut and pasted in all three - that I tested first in online Outlook

I've uninstalled OL,

Thanks to you all, for your help, hopefully I can repay you sometime.