Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

For just desktop usage is a SSD hybrid worth the money.

I need to replace a bad drive. The price on the SSD hybrid isn't that much more expensive (50% but still less than $70) than that regular one. Is it worth it? I plan on setting this computer up with RAID 1. Do I need to have both drive the same type? I know I have to have them the same size.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Marc,

A little more info please...
    Why do you want to use RAID?
    Does the computer's disk controller/BIOS support RAID?
    How mission critical is the data to be mirrored?

IMHO, unless you know exactly why you want raid and your computer supports raid and the data is critical and fast changing forget RAID. YMMV!

I think you would be better served with a good regime of Image Backups and Daily file backups.

Personally, I'd get a SSD for your OS/Program files and a standard HD for your data along with an external USB HD for images and file backups. IMHO the fallacy of mirroring is that if the box fries or disk controller fails you loose both copies. If the data is critical you also want an offsite backup which would require the cloud (not my favorite choice) or a second USB HD that so you can rotate the two.

In a nutshell think it through, make a plan, stick to it!

As to the hybrid drives, again IMHO, they just add another point of failure (the controller between the SSD portion and the HDD portion. I'm sure I'll get killed for that last statement by those who swear by hybrid drives (I've also heard a lot of swearing at them ) but it's the way I feel about. YMMV!

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    RAID 1 = 2 disks + 1 for backup.
    No RAID = 1 disk + 1 for backup.
    Forget RAID and spend the extra on an SSD for the machine.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    +1 to posts 2 &3
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I agree with Paul T. RAID adds complexity and as a RAID 1 system, it increases the potential for failures due to zero redundancy. While RAID 1 does increase performance substantially, the potential gains are still dwarfed by that possible with a SSD.

The same goes for the hybrid drives. They do increase performance but it took too long for them to come to market and so they never gained a large following. Any SSD will blow the doors off a hybrid drive, performance-wise.

The simple answer is SSD; the high performance answer is SSD. Hybrid drives are weak sauce in comparison.

Thanks
    (How-To Geek) Hybrid Hard Drives Explained: Why You Might Want One Instead of an SSD

Personally I have no use for the redundant RAID concept, nor do I have any need for a hybrid type drive.
    I will use both types of drives separately, SSDs for speed, and several mechanical drives for storage.

...But it will all depend upon the hardware you have and your personal preferences as to it's specific usage.
    RAID might make sense on older systems in terms of speed gains, but a RAID type of backup is useless to me.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I would not use a hybrid drives for a RAID setup. That is not what the flash portion of the drive's algorithms were designed to accommodate. They are designed to flash the most commonly accessed files and keep them on flash.

Hybrids do a good job of decreasing boot times. They may load a few commonly used apps faster. They usually have a 3 yr warranty as opposed to two.

RAID 1 IS NOT a backup. This is commonly confused. But if you want a backup of the drive set up the drive to be backed up.

Right now you can buy a 250GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD for $78 on Newegg. Toss in a couple of 1TB WD Blues (one for backup) and you have a fast and stable system. If you have an extensive video storage than you will need to buy bigger HDDs.
    Last edited by Fascist Nation; 2015-11-27 at 07:43.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Check Marc View Post
    I need to replace a bad drive. The price on the SSD hybrid isn't that much more expensive (50% but still less than $70) than that regular one. Is it worth it? I plan on setting this computer up with RAID 1. Do I need to have both drive the same type? I know I have to have them the same size.
    Based on this limited amount of information, and the fact that the title says "For desktop usage...", I would tend to say no to the SSD.

Perhaps if you would provide more info on what kind of usage and why you want mirrored drives, we could give you more specific comments.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Thanks
    Just my 2 cents but I wouldn't even consider the RAID 1. As to the SSD Hybrid, I have one in my HP laptop and it seems pretty snappy.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I wanted to be less than $100 for everything.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks everyone. I bought a ADATA Premier Pro SP600 32GB SSD and WD Blue 500 GB with some extra cables and brackets to get it over $100 for $85 after discount from Tiger.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I wouldn't think a 32GB SSD is big enough. I have a 60GB and that's tight with W8.1. An upgrade to W10 is not possible with the space I have spare.

cheers, Paul

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Paul if 7 works anything like XP I'll have swap, My Docs and Temp on the WD500GB. The way I have it set up now I only using about 12GB for XP between the partition for Windows proper and the one for Program Files.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Marc,

My Win 7 HP installation w/Full Office 2003 Pro and all programs is 42.1 Gb. Data in another partition as well as Win 10 Pro w/Full Office 2010 Pro (58.1 Gb) in another partition on a Crucial M4 240 Gb SSD.

HTH
    Last edited by RetiredGeek; 2015-11-29 at 12:01.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Paul after the glowing endorsements for your first response I didn't included any more information. This is going on a computer in the bedroom. I don't even check email on it. Crawling the web and watching TV and movies and listening to music is all that it will be used for.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast