Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Microsoft re-releases Windows 10 November download

According to Ed Bott Microsoft changed its tune - Microsoft reverses course, restores downloads of Windows 10 November Update.

Joe

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-11-25)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't have Windows 10 yet so this might sound like a ridiculous question.
    I create a system image backup every month on the weekend before patch Tuesday on my Windows 7 computer using MR
    Since Microsoft controls Windows Updates, will my system image backup plan be worth it in Windows 10 so I can go back to it if a similar situation in that article occurs again?
    --- I know it mentions only a few that were affected and that it includes an apology but that's little consolation if it causes a "major" issue such as for one of my friends who is installing a paid for QuickBooks program.

I believe I read that it's possible to defer Automatic Windows Updates in Windows 10 Pro but I can't find where I read it?
    --- Is that true?
    --- If so, how long can it be deferred?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    As long as you've tested the recovery, an image backup will always get you back before a problem. The biggest issue with Windows 10 updates is that unless you are in a business the updates are installed automatically.

See What Does “Defer Upgrades” in Windows 10 Mean? for a discussion of deferring upgrades.

Joe

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-11-25)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Image backups are the best way to recover from broken Windows and will work fine in W10. Because you can't guarantee when the updates are applied you may find yourself having to restore further back than ideal.

cheers, Paul

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-11-25)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the information. The deferred upgrades article is very informative.

I will also go through
    http://windowssecrets.com/top-story/...backup-system/
    &
    http://windowssecrets.com/langalist-...fying-backups/

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cmptrgy View Post
    I believe I read that it's possible to defer Automatic Windows Updates in Windows 10 Pro but I can't find where I read it?
    --- Is that true?
    --- If so, how long can it be deferred?
    On Windows 10 Pro, you can defer updates (fixes) by up to four weeks and upgrades (features) by up to eight months using Local Group Policy Editor:

How to take control of Windows 10 updates and upgrades (even if you don't own a business)

(a.k.a. Windows Update for Business)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-11-27)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    JoeP, greets.

Here, I do not get automatic updates, I have to look for them. I am now on 10586-14 just upgraded from -11.

Still no driver for my HP Laserjet 6L, well there is one to install but it will not work. Manufactured 1998 ! ! But it ran fine up to 1 month ago and it runs on a W-7 machine. Printers are like old dog, ie: no new trick ???

All fine wishes. Jean.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Printers are like old dog, ie: no new trick ???
    A common HP problem. Quelle domage!!

Zig

P.S. ??Are you "Gene" or Zhon"??
    Last edited by Zig; 2015-12-20 at 14:48.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    According to Ed Bott Microsoft changed its tune...
    There sure has been a lot of waffling going on at MS. Seems like a lot of not very well thought out decisions that end up face-planting and having to be picked up and dusted off.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmith-plm View Post
    There sure has been a lot of waffling going on at MS. Seems like a lot of not very well thought out decisions that end up face-planting and having to be picked up and dusted off.
    Absolutely.

A Microsoft spokesperson says "... we've decided that future installs should be through Windows Update."

But only for three days?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    On the other hand, this could be a cleaver bit of reverse psychology to get those who deferred upgrades to rush out get it while they can.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Thanks
    The Build 1511 update is a persistent bugger. You can spurn it, you can uninstall it, you can cuss at it, but it comes back, over and over.

I'm working on a machine that installed it twice, failed to install twice more, and it just installed again. Microsoft REALLY wants you to install Build 1511.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdog View Post
    The Build 1511 update is a persistent bugger. You can spurn it, you can uninstall it, you can cuss at it, but it comes back, over and over.

I'm working on a machine that installed it twice, failed to install twice more, and it just installed again. Microsoft REALLY wants you to install Build 1511.
    Interesting, since it still hasn't been offered to me through windows update.

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdog View Post

I noticed in your other thread that you had the issues on Windows 7 systems.

Did GWX warn of any incompatibilities with Windows 10 before the upgrade?

Another way to find out is to use the Windows 8.1 Upgrade Assistant...

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ows-7-tutorial

Microsoft has said in the past that if your system and applications will run on Windows 8/8.1, they should be good to go on Windows 10.

Some installation issues with Build 1511 have been linked to having an SD card inserted.
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-12-01 at 21:07.