New Lounger
    Thanks

How to disable Active Scripting without restarting IE instance ?

Hello !

I am struggling to find out a solution to this problem. I need to disable Active Scripting in Internet Explorer 11 under Win8 without restarting IE for the changes to take effect . I know how to to modify the registry to change it but IE won't load the new changes made until I restart it. Is there a way to re read the IE registry settings without restarting it ? If not , is there any other way ? Thanks in advance for any help !

jwoods
    The most secure way is to use an Administrative Template in Group Policy under User Configuration, using the Local Group Policy Editor.

By default, Group Policy updates take place every 90 minutes, with a random offset of 0 to 30 minutes. That can be changed to a range of 0 (every 7 seconds) to 64,800 minutes (45 days).

You would need to manage the effect of how frequently the policy needs to be updated against the performance issues caused by the updates.

Every 7 seconds is probably extreme, where every 15 minutes (depending on the use case) might be more reasonable.

Microsoft has published a spreadsheet guide Group Policy Settings Reference for Windows and Windows Server that can be downloaded for a specific Windows version...

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=25250
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-11-25 at 02:14. Reason: Resource link added

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Jwoods for your reply ! I think an Administrative Template is not an option in my case. Automatic web scrapping into excel is what I am doing and the site has a couple of scripts on it and I need to be able to disable active scripting once the main page is loaded , not before .. Otherwise the main website page won't load propertely if I run an instance of IE with active scripting disabled since it makes use of scripts too.

Maybe there is a way to prevent a specifc script to run in a web page ?

Any ideas would be appreciated ! Thanks ...

jwoods
    If you can identify the script or element you don't want to load, you might try Adblock Plus for IE and set up a custom filter...

https://adblockplus.org/releases/adb...or-ie-released

Another alternative is taking a snapshot of the page (if there is enough time) before the script runs. You might look at using a tool called Fireshot...

http://getfireshot.com/?xpi

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You could also use the built in Problem Steps Recorder http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials...ndows-8-a.html

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Jwoods but unfortunately Adblock Plus for Internet Explorer doesnt come with the ability to create or add custom filters.

How could a snapshot would be able to block a script ?

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by dan85 View Post
    Thanks Jwoods but unfortunately Adblock Plus for Internet Explorer doesnt come with the ability to create or add custom filters.

How could a snapshot would be able to block a script ?
    This from the Adblock Plus forum...

If you also have Adblock Plus in Firefox, you can try copying the patterns.ini file. This file stores all subscription and custom filters:

1. In Firefox, type about:support into the address bar and press Enter.

2. Click the Show Folder button.

3. In the Windows Explorer window that opened, open the adblockplus folder.

4. Right-click the patterns.ini file and choose Copy.

5. In the address bar of the Windows Explorer window, type either of the following and press Enter. The first is for Windows XP, the second is for all other versions of Windows.

%UserProfile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Adblock Plus for IE\
    %LocalAppData%\Adblock Plus for IE\

6. Right-click an empty area in the list of files and choose Paste. Confirm that you want to overwrite the existing patterns.ini file.

A snapshot wouldn't block a script...it might give you the opportunity to capture the content you want before the script runs and changes it.
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-11-27 at 00:28.