5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Shopping online? Check your browser's security

PATCH WATCH

Shopping online? Check your browser's security

By Susan Bradley

The holiday season is upon us, and that means lots of online shopping; it's time to review our systems for their monthly helpings of security fixes. For many, another end-of-the-year task is to decide whether to block Microsoft's efforts to move your system to Windows 10. Plus: Newer Dell systems have an unsecure security certificate.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/patch-watch//shopping-online-check-your-browsers-security/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by Kathleen Atkins; 2015-11-25 at 15:46.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Susan.

You may want to edit your references in the article to KB 3098777, assuming you mean to refer to KB 3097877.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ditto on 3098777

New Lounger
    Thanks

What did I miss

I managed to miss this when originally posted, but when I tried to follow the directions, I was unable to do so because there is no WindowsUpdate within H_KEY_Local_Machine. I have "hacked" registries in the past, though with only moderate success in achieving my goals, and it was also "easier" when I was hacking just one operating system, but I have multiple machines with different OS of necessity--I use software that is not compatible with either Windows 7 or 8, if not both, as there either is nothing comparable available or I cannot justify the expense, in time, money, or both, to convert/upgrade my software, and find that hacks that work with one version of Windows does not work with others. As I am getting the upgrade offers only with my Windows8 machine, since my "hacking" of the same has been quite limited because I bought the machine just a few months ago and my hacks to enable legacy software I am able to run in Windows7 have filed with Windows8, it is unclear to me whether I should add the items you mention that I do not find in my registry and what might be involved in the same, so I would appreciate your speaking to the same.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Rather than much around in the registry you can use GWX Control Panel to do it, and more, for you.
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...-Control-Panel

cheers, Paul