New Lounger
    Thanks

HP Printers & Win2000 5.00.2195

I'm a VBA programmer and not very knowledgeable about operating systems and network printers, but since we've switched to Win2000, our users have complained a great deal about shoddy printing results. We use Word2000 SR-1 and utilize a programmed printing process, so the fonts, margins, footers and headers are programatically created (identically for each document) before the job is submitted to an HP printer. Since some of the documents are very large, it is critical that when the user wants to reprint a single page, that it print with the same number of lines per page every time. Now, we can get inconsistent results, and sometimes have to reprint an entire document instead of a single page, because the lines per page are not consistent.

Also, the darkness of the font (Courier 12 New) varies from page to page, and is quite noticeable, especially on the last page of the print job.

This was not a problem before we upgraded to WIN2000 and Office 2000.

Are these problems that sound familiar? Does anyone have suggestions. We have a variety of HP printers, HP5SI and HP4000/4050s mostly and the network guys say the drivers are not the problem and endlessly say "It SHOULD work". Problem is, it only works some of the time.

TIA
    Ann Brandon

Thanks

Re: HP Printers & Win2000 5.00.2195

Yes - very familiar - other than it was a problem on NT as well 4 before W2K.

Not sure about the 4000/4050, but here our HP4's, HP5's HP6's and HP2000 are all "HP4's" - margins, scaling etc. are all now consistent.

I would suggest testing with one workstation - even if it doesn't have a printer attached, install a dummy local HP4. Then, with each printer in turn, change the print driver to HP4 - having installed the dummy simplifies this as it will already have the driver installed.

Now, if you start getting consistent results, I would say it is down to the vagaries in the HP drivers.

(I have seen elsewhere that the HP4 was considered the 'last best' - if that makes sense.)

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Ann,

Your problem is a result of the printer drivers most likely. You didn't say what you upgraded to Windows 2000 from, but I can tell you that at one firm where I was employed, they had client software that would run on either Windows 95/98, or NT/2000 - and the documents that it produced looked different in both layout and appearance if the job originated on a 9x workstation. If the document was created and sent to the print server from an NT workstation, it came out as it looked on screen and the results were consistent.

As it turned out it was because all print jobs in the software suite went to an NT server first, which spooled the document and used its own printer driver. I can't recall all the details but once that was discovered it was easily reproduceable....and it usually involved HP 4000 series printers.

Leif's suggestion was a good one. Can you try a different brand of printer and see if the results are consistent? I feel fairly confident that this is a driver problem but I don't know if it affects all NT based printing or not.
    -Mark

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you both for your replys. I have suspected that the printer drivers might be the source of the problem, but it helps to have some one else think so too. I'll let you know if your suggestions helped out for our situation.