New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Reset Windows 10 when selling computer.

Is there a quick way to reset Windows 10 to wipe out personal data and software when selling a computer? I upgraded to Windows 10 on a Lenovo Thinkpad and plan to sell it but not linked to my Microsoft Account.

Ed

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Ed,

Welcome to the Lounge as a new poster!

See this thread.

Although it is in the Win 7 forum it all applies to Win 10 as well.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Reset your PC

Resetting lets you choose whether to keep your files or remove them, and then reinstalls Windows.
    To get started, go to Settings > Update & security > Reset this PC > Get started and choose an option:

Remove everything

Reinstalls Windows 10 and removes all your personal files.
    Removes apps and drivers you installed.
    Removes changes you made to settings.
    Removes any apps your PC manufacturer installed. (If your PC came with Windows 10, apps from your PC manufacturer will be reinstalled.)

If you're planning to donate, recycle, or sell your PC, use this option and choose to fully clean the drive.
    This might take an hour or two, but it makes it harder for other people to recover files you've removed.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...overy-options#

New Lounger
    Thanks

Need to search for Reset this PC

Thank you! This is a welcoming group. I tried Settings>Update & security but did not see Reset this PC. However, I did a search for "Reset" and was sent to a new menu that included it. I still don't know how to get there without a search but that doesn't matter. Windows 10 is kind of confusing for an old XP guy but it seems better than 8.0, which came on the Thinkpad. I'll wait a while and see how it goes.

Thanks again, Ed

Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Reset your PC

Resetting lets you choose whether to keep your files or remove them, and then reinstalls Windows.
    To get started, go to Settings > Update & security > Reset this PC > Get started and choose an option:

Remove everything

Reinstalls Windows 10 and removes all your personal files.
    Removes apps and drivers you installed.
    Removes changes you made to settings.
    Removes any apps your PC manufacturer installed. (If your PC came with Windows 10, apps from your PC manufacturer will be reinstalled.)

If you're planning to donate, recycle, or sell your PC, use this option and choose to fully clean the drive.
    This might take an hour or two, but it makes it harder for other people to recover files you've removed.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...overy-options#

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by edgomez View Post
    I tried Settings>Update & security but did not see Reset this PC. However, I did a search for "Reset" and was sent to a new menu that included it. I still don't know how to get there without a search but that doesn't matter.
    Microsoft need to update that page.

It should say "Settings > Update & security > Recovery > Reset this PC > Get started".