Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Insider Builds Problem

When I open Update & Security I am told that there is a problem with my security settings and that I need to fix this to continue receiving Insider Builds. I click the Fix this message that comes up, then click confirm, and I am then told I need to reboot, but when I do the problem remains. How do I fix this? (I have Build 10586 with the November update, and have had this problem with previous Builds).
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    I had the same problem. I did a whole hell of a lot of research, online, and with Hyper-V, and native VHDs. I do not know how you have your computer set up, but I have 3 disk drives. I found out that if my MBR (I have BIOS MB) is on a DIFFERENT drive than my Windows installation, then there is a Security issue which can not be fixed. My solution was to change my boot order, and to reinstall Windows on the first drive. I wiped the other drive of everything (I moved stuff to other drives) just to be sure I rid myself of the other MBR. Then I installed Windows on the first boot hard drive, and everything is GOOD!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    First, try stopping insider builds. Re-boot. Re-enable insider builds. Re-boot.

If that does not work you can try leaving the Insider program and re-joining.

Joe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    djohnson, thanks but I need help to use your method. Could you possibly give me step by step instructions as to how to "move" the MBR to my Win 10 disk? (I have 5 internal hard disks, 2 of which are divided into 2 partitions, giving me 7 in all. Win 7 and Win 10 are installed on separate SSDs, and I have a 6TB external usb connected NAS drive to back up all the other drives).

Joe, thanks but your suggestions didn't work for me.
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by royw View Post
    djohnson, thanks but I need help to use your method. Could you possibly give me step by step instructions as to how to "move" the MBR to my Win 10 disk?
    The simplest way to do this without reinstalling is to download, and install EasyBCD from here
    Code:
    http://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/
    Scroll down, and click on Register for the free version. When the new page opens you do not have to fill in your email if you do not want to. Simply click download. After you install it, open it, and click on the BCD Backup/Repair tab on the left. Choose Change Boot Drive, Perform Action, then choose which drive. I have heard it works well. What I did, since I wanted a clean installation anyway, was to go into BIOS, change my first boot drive to where I wanted Windows, then I wiped, and installed Windows again. But, EasyBCD is a very powerful program, and I am sure it will work for you.

Thanks
    Have an image and repair disk at ready when doing stuff like that!
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    djohnson, thanks but before I saw your post #5 I had already checked with EasyBCD and found that the MBR was already on the Windows 10 drive. My Insider Builds problem persists and if anyone has any other ideas I would be grateful to receive them.

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    Is the Windows 10 drive listed as highest boot priority in BIOS?

Jerry

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Jerry, yes it is.

Roy Whitethread

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by royw View Post
    I have 5 internal hard disks, 2 of which are divided into 2 partitions, giving me 7 in all. Win 7 and Win 10 are installed on separate SSDs, and....
    I can't say if your problem exactly matches one I had, but I am dual booting, with XP on an SSD and W10 (TP) on a HDD. I suffered from numerous problems with installing new builds, mostly ending up downloading and installing from an ISO (sometimes creating it from the esd file). The errors I got on trying to install new builds never shed any light on what was wrong, and eventually I tried disconnecting the SSD whilst updating, and all was hunky-dory.

Only then did I realise the significance of the fact that, to avoid the W10 installation overwriting my XP boot setup, before updating from an ISO (a clean install) I had been disconnecting the SSD (I had found out the hard way what happens when it is left connected).

It turns out that if W10 sees the XP boot partition when updating the build it gets 'confused' (but at least it didn't mess up XP).

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I have just installed the latest update to Win 10, but still have the problem I referred to in post #1. Does anyone have any other ideas?

Roy Whitethread

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I finally fixed the problem by proceeding as follows:

Step 1: Change a registry value:

Change the value for the EnablePreviewBuilds entry from zero (false) to one (true):
    Bring up a Run dialogue box by pressing the Windows + R keys, type in regedit and then press Enter.
    In the registry editor navigate to and click on the following entry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsSelfH ost\Applicability
    In the right hand pane the value for EnablePreviewBuilds will be shown as zero
    Right click EnablePreviewBuilds and select Modify
    Change the ‘Value data’ to 1 (one) and click OK

Close the registry editor.

Step 2: Back to Update & Security

Go back into Settings > Update & Security > Advanced options and click on the Fix me button
    A window should now open asking you to sign into your Microsoft account. Do so and you should now be back getting Preview Builds again
    Adjust the slider to suit your preference – Slow or Fast, and you’re all done.

*If the “Get Insider Preview builds” option does not correct itself immediately, try a restart.

I hope this helps others.

Roy Whitethread

13. The Following User Says Thank You to royw For This Useful Post:

djohnson (2015-12-26)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Nice detective work. Thanks for posting your solution.

Joe