New Lounger
    Thanks

Inaccessible Files on external hard drive.

Would appreciate advice on how to deal with an external Iomega (USB-2) drive which is recognized by my Windows 7 Prof. 'Computer Management' as a healthy RAW primary partition, but from which I cannot access any of the files which should be there. I suspect that this type of problem is well-known, but not by me. If a third-party recovery software is to be the answer, which one? If nothing there, what then?

Thanks
    As you used Computer Management, I assume you went via Storage to Disk Management. Does the drive have a drive letter? If so, does it appear in Explorer? If its visible in Explorer, what happens when you try to open it?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Calimanco For This Useful Post:

Granddad (2015-11-28)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Calimanco.
    Yes, the drive shows in Explorer. Under Local Disk Properties in Computer Management it tells me the drive is empty. Iit registers zero Used and zero Free space, and zero Capacity, yet the associated 'Cheese' diagram shows Blue, i.e. full!

jwoods
    A RAW partition means that the file system thinks it has not been formatted.

Since you know it has been, and there is data on it, the file system has somehow been damaged.

MiniTool Partition Wizard is a good free tool, and it will convert FAT/FAT32 to NTFS, but I'm not sure it will convert RAW to NTFS.

http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-...n-manager.html

This product from M3 claims it will convert RAW to NTFS, but I can't verify that.

http://www.m3datarecovery.com/raw-to...ormatting.html

The one thing you don't want to do is reformat as NTFS without recovering the data first.

You may need to find data recovery software as well.

EaseUS has a tool that claims to recover data from a RAW partition....

http://www.easeus.com/resource/raw-p...n-recovery.htm
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-11-28 at 01:02.

Lounger
    Thanks
    There isn't a way to change the partition from RAW to NTFS and keep all the data intact.
    EaseUS is a method that you might be able to do that.

Thanks
    Formatting (quick format) a RAW drive as NTFS is not likely to damage anything more than the 'lost' partition info and the old System Volume Information (the hidden NTFS data), I've recovered full data from a number of RAW drives after formatting.

TestDisk or a good pay software should do the job. In the past I've used MBRWork (it still comes with TestDisk as well, I think) to do it, no recovery software needed.