Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Question W10 - Can't get DISM.exe to work on online image

I frequently used DISM.exe on running W8 and W8.1 x64bit operating systems. The command was always written as: ">dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth". I never got an error message and never used "/Source" as part of the command.

With W10x64 recently using >dism /online /CheckHealth and >dism /online /ScanHealth, the results indicated "repairable corruption" in the both the image and the componentstore. But, when I ran DISM as written above in paragraph one, I got the following error message:
    "Error: 0x800f081f
    The source files could not be found. Use the /Source option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature."

When working with W8.1, it was my understanding that DISM.exe would use Windows Update to retrieve most current files to repair any corruption to the online image. Windows 10 seems to need additional DISM.exe arguements to find current files to repair the corrupted files.

Q. With W10, do i need to specify a /Source location for Windows Update?
    Q. Do I need to specify the /Source location for an .ISO file or the 10586 USB thumbdrive I have, to repair my running online image?

My PC is running Windows 10-10586.

thanks
    "... don't think it won't happen just because it hasn't happened yet..."

Thanks
    First you need the iso of the exact version of Windows 10 you have installed, or at least the install.wim of it. If you have the iso then mount it. In a command or powershell window open as administrator paste the following code substituting in the drive letter where install.wim is for X. Run the code, then afterwards run sfc /scannow.
    Code:
    DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:X:\Sources\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Is it necessary to convert install.esd in a downloaded iso to install.wim?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Is it necessary to convert install.esd in a downloaded iso to install.wim?
    No, you would use the same command as above substituting in ESD for WIM, and the full path to the esd file. So, you would have this
    Code:
    DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:ESD:X:\Sources\Install.esd:1 /LimitAccess

5. The Following User Says Thank You to djohnson For This Useful Post:

BruceR (2015-11-29)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by djohnson View Post
    No, you would use the same command as above substituting in ESD for WIM, and the full path to the esd file. So, you would have this
    Code:
    DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:ESD:X:\Sources\Install.esd:1 /LimitAccess
    Got it. Thanks.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    But then I have to ask: Who at the moment would have an iso of build 10586, version 1511, November update with an install.wim instead of an install.esd and how did they get it?

Thanks
    But then I have to ask: Who at the moment would have an iso of build 10586, version 1511, November update with an install.wim instead of an install.esd and how did they get it?
    Convert Windows Update esd to iso. I do it all the time. Then I restart, and do the upgrade with the setup file in the mounted iso. I can also save the iso, in case I want to do a clean install or testing in Hyper-V.

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyWomen View Post
    I frequently used DISM.exe on running W8 and W8.1 x64bit operating systems. The command was always written as: ">dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth". I never got an error message and never used "/Source" as part of the command.

With W10x64 recently using >dism /online /CheckHealth and >dism /online /ScanHealth, the results indicated "repairable corruption" in the both the image and the componentstore. But, when I ran DISM as written above in paragraph one, I got the following error message:
    "Error: 0x800f081f
    The source files could not be found. Use the /Source option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature."

When working with W8.1, it was my understanding that DISM.exe would use Windows Update to retrieve most current files to repair any corruption to the online image. Windows 10 seems to need additional DISM.exe arguements to find current files to repair the corrupted files.

Q. With W10, do i need to specify a /Source location for Windows Update?
    Q. Do I need to specify the /Source location for an .ISO file or the 10586 USB thumbdrive I have, to repair my running online image?

My PC is running Windows 10-10586.

thanks
    Good tutorial on DISM and when to use what options...

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/7...-10-image.html

Thanks
    ** Thanks to djohnson and BruceR for the discussion...

I *have to digest the content of the discussion above between you-all before I can question or comment further....
    There is a lot there for me to get a hold of.......

I hope you both will be around to further the discussion.

Thanks
    I got mine (wim file) using NTLite to convert the esd file. I've had no success using the esd file with the DISM tool.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I frequently used DISM.exe on running W8 and W8.1 x64bit operating systems.
    I may be particularly dense this morning, but for what reason are you doing this? What image are you trying to fix and why is it subject to frequent corruption?
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Here are some suggestions that may help with that error - http://www.thewindowsclub.com/modern...orking-windows

Thanks

Reply : Help needed.

** Thanks to djohnson and BruceR for the discussion...

.... I hope you both will be around to further the discussion.
    .................................................. .................................................. .........................

I am a bit confused.....

After playing with my .iso as a Source of files, I decided to try my C:\ESD folder instead. Judging by dates of files only, I guessed the files where 10586. I also finally found the "Install.esd" file in the ESD\Windows\Sources\ folder and did the following:

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:ESD:C:\ESD\Windows\Sources\Install.esd:1 /LimitAccess.
    the command did not work (source files not found) so I changed the text and I ran it like this:

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:ESD:C:\Windows\Sources\Install.esd:1 /LimitAccess.
    the command did not work (source files not found) so I corrected the text to mirror the suggestion provided above. I ran this:

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:ESD:C:\Sources\Install.esd:1 /LimitAccess
    unfortunately, I got the same error message; "Source files not found".

I think I am following directions but I obviously must be missing something ....
    Can either one of you gentlemen help me out?
    I would really like to get the command to work to repair corruption found by running DISM /... /Scan Health and /Check Health

thank you
    Last edited by SkinnyWomen; 2015-12-07 at 10:47.

Thanks
    .................................................. .................................................. .........................

I am a bit confused.....

A
    Maybe contagious! I am confused too, just where is your source file?
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I got lost off a while ago :lol

I don't use Win 10 but it's useful to know what to advise when someone reports the /restorehealth cmd returns that it is unable to find the source file.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast