Thread: Word issues

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Angry Word issues

Hi all

I have a real big Word 2013 document, which was originally scanned from a book and it contains heaps of optional hyphen’s. Whenever I try to delete every instance of these hyphen’s using the ‘find & replace’ feature, Word simply reports: ‘All done. We made 0 replacements’ (meaning that Word is so useless it won’t recognise its own symbols); unless I’m going about it the wrong way.
    The internet is full of advice only on how to insert this symbol.
    If this at all possible – to delete hyphen’s - can someone please point me in the right direction please.

On another scanning issue: every paragraph ends without a punctuation mark of any type. How would I possibly put a full-stop at the end of paragraph’s? – if possible.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Robko,

You don't know what code the scanning program placed in the document. So, what you need to do is to highlight one of the hyphens then press Ctrl+H for Replace. Don't put anything in the Replace with field and select Replace All. Of course you should always do this type of operation on a COPY of the document JIC. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

Charles Kenyon (2015-11-30),cmptrgy (2015-11-30)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'll admit I'm no Word guru but I have managed to solve both scanning issues.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Robko View Post
    I'll admit I'm no Word guru but I have managed to solve both scanning issues.
    Robko,

Care to share how?
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up Success!!!!

example.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Robko,

Care to share how?
    1. Highlight any/or all text to change, and press CRTL+H to summon the ‘find & replace dilogue box.
    2. Click the ‘more’ button, followed by ‘special’
    3. Click the very 1st option (paragraph mark) and the relevant symbol will appear in the dialogues ‘find what’ field.
    4. In the ‘replace with’ type in any character/s, and click ‘replace.

To start off the Paragraph Marks must be showing.
    Hopefully the attached screendump will give you a better idea of what the original thesaurus looked like (every group of synonyms ended in a blank)

Using this method it’s also possible to amalgamate a word which doesn’t fit on one line into one complete word. Only this time select ‘optional hyphen’, and leave the find what’ field blank; and finally click ‘replace’.

Thanks
    missing punctuation
    by full stop if you mean a period (.) or other punctuation marks. i would make sure the spell checker w/grammar checker is turned on and start it at the beginning of the document. as it runs thru the document it should find each instance that should have a punctuation and suggest one like a period or question mark.

alternatively you can search and replace. search for two spaces and replace with a period and two spaces. you'll have to monitor it all the way thru the document.

as stated above save your original doc and then rename it and run these changes on the renamed doc, you can always save it as the original name if all works out well.