Thanks

Question Win7 Pro won't let me download email

I have three PC towers two with XP Pro SP3 on,and one with Win 7 Pro,
    I have never changed any of my pop mail addresses on any of the O/S for
    a while now unless its been requested,most are pop3 and a couple are
    web based mail? .
    I have always been able to use an application called MailWasher (Fire Trust)
    this gives me the option to see what mail is on the servers before I
    download any,then I can choose to delete off the servers what is spam etc,
    and then choose what mail application takes what mail addresses on any PC.

My two XP machines to this day still let me see whats on the servers with MailWasher
    and are set to delete all if not most spam and work fine.

Problem is:: Win 7 Pro in the last three or four weeks has prevented me
    from downloading these three mail addresses..Tiscali and GMail and mail.com
    in my MailWasher application,all I get is acontinual loop that says connecting
    until I stop them,the others work fine,it was mentioned that there were some security updates
    that could have caused this in Win 7 if so is there a work around.
    My server is Virgin Media and they say its not them of course they would.
    Thanking You
    Spin Black vinyl,then smoke a fatty.

jwoods
    There apparently was a new release (version 7.7) on November 4th (bottom of the page)...

http://www.firetrust.com/en/products/mailwasher-pro

Older versions can be downloaded from FileHippo...

http://filehippo.com/download_mailwasher/

I would suggest uninstalling and re-installing MailWasher.
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-11-29 at 23:07.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Just to sort out the nomenclature, in case you're interested.

most are pop3 and a couple are web based mail
    Any mail server accessed via the internet is "web based". Usual access methods for downloading mail are POP3 or MAPI. Sending mail is done with SMTP.

My server is Virgin Media
    VM are a "service provider", they give you a connection to the internet. A server is a computer that is accessed by multiple people / machines, e.g. a mail server.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post

Any mail server accessed via the internet is "web based". Usual access methods for downloading mail are POP3 or MAPI. Sending mail is done with SMTP.

My server is Virgin Media
    VM are a "service provider", they give you a connection to the internet. A server is a computer that is accessed by multiple people / machines, e.g. a mail server.

cheers, Paul
    Thanks Paul for the correction,I should have worded it a little different my fault.
    Spin Black vinyl,then smoke a fatty.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Nobodies fault, just making sure everyone is on the same page.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post

I respectfully differ. The "Web" and the "Internet" are not synonyms. The Web is so named because of the rich interlocking of various sites by HTML links. Web pages are generally viewed in a Web browser.

Email existed before there was a Web. POP3 and MAPI are independent of HTML and Web browsers. They have their own protocols and syntax that do not need HTML or hyperlinks to function.

Just sayin' ..............
    Last edited by Dan in Saint Louis; 2015-12-03 at 09:57.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I should point out......

cheers, Paul

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If your Mailwasher configuration on the W7 system is identical to those on the XP systems, particularly in respect of the email account settings, then raise an issue with the Firetrust helpdesk. I have always found them to be very helpful, and if it is an issue with Mailwasher they will want to know about it. If it is a Windows 7 issue rather than with Mailwasher, I'm sure they would be able to identify that and suggest what to do.

Thanks
    Well, one thing that's not been mentioned, is, what email program on your computer are you using to get your email?
    Or are you just using WebMail?

On XP you could and maybe do use Outlook Express, but in MS's infinite wisdom, that no longer works, since Vista.
    In Vista, they jazzed up O.E.6 and called it "Windows mail". For us old O.E.6 users, Windows Mail was GREAT!
    Everything worked exactly like it did in O.E.6. I still use that today, on all of my 17 computers, running Windows 7 or 8.1.

Then came Windows 7, 8, 81, and 10, where Windows Mail was still there in Program Files, but, it was somehow disabled.

The easy fix is to just remove all the files in the "Windows Mail" folder and replace them (paste in) with the files in the Windows Mail folder in Vista.

Those files are easily copied from any PC running Windows Vista.

I've been using Windows Mail since I first started using Windows 7, years ago, and I still use it today. It has so many fewer problems than any other email program. Did I mention, that Windows Mail will also work on Windows 10? (there are also 64 bit versions of Windows Mail)

For my customers who have used Outlook Express for many years, I install Windows mail for them and they feel right at home with it.
    To use Windows Mail, with GMail, you do have to go to GMail on the web, then go into settings, and enable POP and disable IMAP. Then O.E. or Windows Mail can download the email right into your computer.
    When it's properly set up, just one click on a desktop icon (for Windows Mail) you can get your mail on your desktop.
    I even have a shortcut to Windows Mail in my startup folder, so within seconds of turning ON my PC, my email is ON-Screen and ready for me to read.
    I also have Windows Mail set to check for new mail, every 3 minutes, so I can actually carry on a conversation with someone via email. If I ask someone a question and they answer me right back, I'll have their response within three minutes. It's almost like Texting on a Smart Phone.

Well that's just me.
    Happy Holidays y'all!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!