New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Update not working in Win 7 Pro

I have been trying to do a Windows Update on my Dell laptop with Win 7 Pro installed. The updates are there to be selected, but no matter how many I select 1, 2 or 30, nothing happens. 0% downloaded is all that happens. I've paused my antivirus ESET NOD32...I've stopped the Windows Update service...Deleted the Download folder in the Software Distribution folder. It won't download any selected updates. Stuck here and would like to keep IE updated.

Regards,
    Karl

jwoods
    Open a Command Prompt (Run as Administrator) and do the following:

1. Type: cd %windir% and press enter.

2. Type: net stop wuauserv and press enter.

3. Type: net stop cryptsvc and press enter.

4. Type: net stop bits and press enter.

5. Type: net stop msiserver and press enter.

6. Type: ren SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old and press enter.

7. Type: cd %windir%/system32 and press enter.

8. Type: ren catroot2 Catroot2.old and press enter.

9. Type: net start wuauserv and press enter.

10. Type: net start cryptsvc and press enter.

11. Type: net start bits and press enter.

12. Type: net start msiserver and press enter.

Try Windows Update again.
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-11-30 at 15:23.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jwoods For This Useful Post:

bagg44 (2015-12-06)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Plan B: Or maybe plan A, then B: as outlined above by jwoods:

Open a Command Prompt (Run as Administrator) and do the following:

1. Type: SFC /scannow (space before the slash)

It -should- 'fix' up Windows problems. If it fails (and may, depending on what services are/are not running), then try the solution from jwoods.

Plan C: Insert genuine Windows 7 Pro CD in CD drive and reboot computer, choosing 'boot from CD' and then the 'recovery' option. That should put all the pieces back.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bratkinson For This Useful Post:

bagg44 (2015-12-06)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks jwoods and bratkinson. Plan A and B did not work. Plan C is problematic because I cannot find the CD collection that came with the laptop. Usually leave them in the carrying case, but we've moved 3 times in the last 5 years, so who knows where they went. Will search for recovery disk options. Going to run scannow again and write down the log location to determine what is amiss.

Thanks
    Good article here: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/window...ail-to-install
    MS "Fix-it" for win updates which helped me some time ago: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...e-issues/en-us
    HTH

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If sfc /scannow reports that it is unable to repair some files then run SFCFix.exe from http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/sfcfix.html

That will open its report in Notepad as well as putting it in an icon on the desktop.

If it says there are files that it cannot fix also then create a full external system image and run the All-In-One Windows Repair program from www.tweaking.com in Safe Mode with Networking.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-12-06 at 12:51.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Patience is its own reward. It took 3 days, but everything is up to date. There were quite a few updates that were irrelevant to our unit. That did not help the process. Moving on to better things now. Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Lounger
    Thanks

Updates, what a pain.

Updates... a major problem for many over the past year or so. Almost like MS wants to wean you off of Windows 7.
    I have run SFC in most manners (did not have the linked Fixit version, will give that a shot), DISM, and done the manual fixes presented here... run Windows FixIt executables, etc, etc... my Security Essentials simply won't update, ever... even after full uninstalls (using Revo Pro), cleans, temps dumped, etc.. reinstall, nope, no update. Most of my 'windows' updates work... I do the manual upgrade of essentials BUT I also have about 100 users... at least 40% of them don't update Essentials correctly or automatically (Essentials is not my only A/V, A/M, etc - and all settings are configured to 'ignore' all the other's files, executables)... strange. Love WinSecrets... good luck with all the fixes. I will try the SFCFix.