Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Tangled file tree

[Win98SE; 96 MB RAM; Pentium 233] The problem: Browsing through My Computer has become really sluggish. If I try to find and open a file from within, say, MS-Word or any other application, the process goes quickly. I wouldn't call it sluggish at all. However, if I try to locate a file using My Computer, it seems to take FOREVER to move from one level to another. But there's more....

Lately I discovered something really bizarre. To keep this simple, let's say in my c: drive I've got 20 folders, including My Documents. Within My Documents, I have 20 more subfolders, including one labeled My Pictures. Within My Pictures, I have yet 10 more sub-folders, including one labeled "Family Fotos," which contains five more sub-folders--one for each branch of the family tree. When I opened one of those five sub-folders , I found an exact duplicate copy of the entire "My Pictures" collection of folders, including (of course) another copy of the folder I was trying to get into!

That's pretty convoluted, I suppose, but does anyone know (a) how this could have happened, and ([img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] how can I unscrew this mess without wiping out some of the files? I have Norton Cleansweep--can this utility straighten out such a mess, or do I need to fix it the old-fashioned way? Could this situation have anything to do with the sluggish browsing problem?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Tangled file tree

When did you defragment your C: drive last time?

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Cleansweep more likely a contibuting factor to the problem rather than a cure. Your best bet is to run Scandisk from a DoS prompt. If that doesn't solve it, use Scanreg to revert to an older Registry - hopefully to a date before the problem arose.
    A similar thing happened to me - in Win 2kP a RClick on a Drive was taking 30-40 secs to open. Turned out to be a set of naff USB drivers. Unfortunately, this sort of thing can take an age to track down.

Good Luck

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Well, it's been about a month or more. I used to run Defrag weekly, but I've read that one can create more trouble defragging that often. Are you suggesting a defrag might help fix this problem? Sounds logical...I'll try that.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Forgive me, but...are you from Australia? "...naff USB drivers." Can't say I'm familiar with that term, "naff," but I surmise it may mean corrupt or some such...? Anyway, how did you diagnose and fix your problem? Thanks for the tip on Scandisk...I'll give that a try.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi
    No, 'naff' is a good old-fashioned English English word originating in the 19th Cent. from back-slang for 'fanny' (UK meaning. If you fall on your fanny in England i. you have to be female and ii. it's more painful than in N America). From there it took on an adjectival aspect, meaning sort of pretentious but useless. Princess Anne re-invigorated it, though I doubt she new its origin in female pudenda. You can even say, should you want to, 'naff off' (especially to vendors who supply drivers that don't work properly).
    Mind you, I can understand why you think I might be antipodean. It's the accent I type with...
    It was more by luck than good judgement that I found the cause of my 2kP performance hit. I go by the principle 'if something has gone pear-shaped, what was the last thing I did whilst it was spherical and before the three G&Ts?' I happened to remember trying to install a Smart Card reader - and you can guess the rest.

Good luck

Rgds

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I have honestly never seen problems from too much defragmenting. Now if you did it twice a day, every day, even, I think you would be hard pressed to notice a difference.

Did you install anything recently that added a new option to your context menu or some such? It would be helpful to know what is running in the background - some applications grab more than their share of CPU time, which leads to slow performance. Kazaa comes to mind as one popular and suspect application.
    -Mark

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the lesson in English English slang! That's rich! Anyway, I did recently install a USB CompactFlash reader (from SanDisk). It seems to be working quite well. You don't suppose I could trace the problem to the card reader...?

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Well, I defragged the drive yesterday, and the same problem exists. Next I'm going to try MerC's suggestion, i.e., running Scandisk from the DOS prompt. Thanks!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Sure, that could be part of the problem. The only way to know for sure is to remove it and see if things improve. In fact, it's troubleshooting practice to undo the last thing that you did before things started going wrong.
    -Mark

New Lounger
    Thanks

Getting back to basics, could the folder just be a copy. Is a change made in both areas when a change is made in one area? Could have been a slip of the mouse and whomp you have an extra copy of the my pictures folder. Just a thought noone else brought up.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

>. I used to run Defrag weekly, but I've read that one can create more trouble defragging that often

I used to defrag Daily, but figured that i was just using up my MBTF (Mean Time Between Failures) allowance. I now Defrag automatically (at boot time, when the backup device is in, and the day is "Sat" or "Sun". A happy medium (good joke!) for me.