Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Another "blocking Win10" question

I just wanted to ask this here rather than jumping on an existing thread -

I have read Susan Bradley's post on "blocking win. 10 with a reg. hack", as with other posts here, I to do not have the "mentioned" registry entries, BUT I have win. updates set to "check and let me choose" NOT "automatic", so am I protected from win. 10 upgrade with this configuration ?

Also, I have looked at the GWX CP option, not sure if I want to go that route if I am not protected by the update configuration I am using

Thanks

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    All the GWX does is change the registry entries - if you want to keep the Win10 ugrade from installing, then it is the simplest solution.

"Check and let me choose" alone may not work 100% unless you stop doing updates all together.
    Last edited by gsmith-plm; 2015-12-01 at 15:28.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

jwoods
    So far (4 months in), GWX Control Panel and "Check for updates and let me choose when to download and install them" has worked well for me.

GWX CP Settings.jpg

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jwoods For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-12-01)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the quick responses, Susan Bradley mentions in the 11/26 Secrets that you can "add" the missing Reg. Keys with the correct values - anyone know how to do this or a link that provides that info, I would obviously back up the registry first -

Thanks again

Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmith-plm View Post
    All the GWX does is change the registry entries -

"Check and let me choose" alone may not work 100% unless you stop doing updates all together.
    Where have you found documentation for that statement?
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, I went ahead and "hacked" the registry according to the Susan Bradley article in WS, I figured out how to add the Registry keys needed and add the correct DWORD values - rebooted - ran windows update - it still shows 1 optional update available, so "win. update" is still working - looks like all is well, at least for now, I should be protected from any M$ attempt to force win. 10 onto my machine

If anything changes I will post here

Thanks

Joe

Thanks
    Many people find that editing the registry is a daunting task, and full of pitfalls. It's NOT for everyone.

I'm an experienced Computer Tech, and I do know how to safely edit the registry, but.....
    I have 16 running computers, and doing a registry edit on even half of them would be a very time consuming and tiring exercise.

SO, I looked for an easier and faster way to Kill GWX. The GWX Control Panel was the answer.
    I downloaded it just once, then put it on my Utilities disk (or Flash Drive). Now I can use it quickly and easily on as many PC's as necessary.

I'm reminded of the popular saying, "There's an app for that", because for anything you want to do, to change the way your PC works, someone has written a program or VBScript that will do the job.

I have half a dozen scripts that I run during every Windows XXX setup. Doing each one manually, would take over an hour, while running the scripts takes only seconds. Don't work harder,,,,,, work smarter!

Cheers Mates and Happy Holidays

The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry but I truly do not understand why you trust a registry hack with all it's inherent risk factors (you had to "figure it out") instead of running a free and many, many times proven effective little utility like GWX Control Panel.
    I'd rather doubt my own registry hacks...
    Eike J Heinze
    What I am about
    SE Wisconsin

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Good morning everyone, I appreciate your comments on hacking the registry, I agree it is not for everyone, I enjoy tweaking the computer and if I break it I have to fix it, this does not bother me, I have the time and I learn from all the challenges, I subscribe to WS for the information given there and try to apply it when and where necessary.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I as well, with the registry hacks. As a small business owner who might work on three or four computers a week, I find it refreshing to have an app that that will safely do the work that the registry hack does. However, I don't mind getting into the registry every now and then. Keeps me sharp!

AKHandyman
    The Computer Cabin
    Tok, Alaska

Lounger
    Thanks
    If Microsoft FORCES their new OS onto my computer, and destroys the functionality I've set up, why can't I sue them for a few $million ?
    It's no different to hacking (IMHO) and is criminal (again, IMHO), not just arrogance.
    With Windows Media Centre dropped, I have no intention of installing Win-10...ever.

Thanks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWho View Post
    Many people find that editing the registry is a daunting task, and full of pitfalls. It's NOT for everyone.

I'm an experienced Computer Tech, and I do know how to safely edit the registry, but.....
    I have 16 running computers, and doing a registry edit on even half of them would be a very time consuming and tiring exercise.

What? Just make a reg file and install! Bam done!

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Destry View Post
    If Microsoft FORCES their new OS onto my computer, and destroys the functionality I've set up, why can't I sue them for a few $million ?
    Hey feel free to give it a go
    David

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to all of you for helping me to get the GWX Control Panel. Boy, is it simple to use and the darn Windows 10 Icon on the Task Bar is finally GONE!!! I have upgraded twice to Win 10 and hated it, both times. The first time was not to long, after Win 10 became available. The 2nd time was about 2 to 3 months later and I still, did NOT like Win 10. I am very happy with my Win 7 Pro 64Bit operating system. As I am writing this, I just got my notice that there is a Windows Update ready. I haven't had that notice in weeks. So, GWX CP must be working.

Lounger
    Thanks
    can you provide me with exact text to type in registry. In my registry, there is no windows update under windows. My local machine software microsoftware windows and that it stopes. nothing about windows upgrade. Help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast