New Lounger
    Thanks

Exclamation How do I identify process that are slowing down the operation of my Operating System?

Hi there,

I want help to identify what processes I can remove without affecting the running of my Win 7 pro.

I have recently come out of Safe-mode, due to some malicious programs/processes putting me there in the first place. However I am neither here nor there as the same program processes are prevalent. I used previous god version together with a repair disc to get me back to my start up page.

I must mention, that some programs such as Lavasoft Antivirus , Lavasoft Web Companion, and Panda Device Security will not undelete. While in Safe-mode, I tried uninstalling, but obviously had to go back to previous good working version. So I have left them alone, but disabled their operation in start up.

Currently My C://Drive is 148gb, I have 22.3gb spare.
    I have 119 programs installed with a value of 15.4gb.

What then is using up all the other gb's? I have transferred all my music, documents, pictures and videos to the D://Drive

So long story short, can someone give me some guidance to speed up my comp? I only have CCleaner that helps a bit, but have gotten rid of all the others. They just swell up your system

jwoods
    The built-in Task Manager will show you what is running at any given time. When you start it, select Show processes from all users

Another way is to download and run the free program Process Explorer from Sysinternals. It will show you some additional information on running processes, one of which is the rating from VirusTotal. That can be a good way to identify a process that may be malware.

You can get it here...

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...rocessexplorer

I'm more concerned about how you got infected, and whether your system is actually clean.

You should have a good, quality firewall and AV/AM program running.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jwoods For This Useful Post:

avamy (2015-12-01)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am running Zone Alarm Free. and using Voodoo Shield. Scotty in the back ground. Maleware Bytes. Zemana Antilogger. EMET. IBM Trusteer Rapport

As far as the system cleanliness is concerned. I don't rightly know. All the security that I have says I am clean.

All I do know was a free giveaway from Gizmos Freeware or Freegiveawayoftheday for a fully paid version of Lavasoft security. When loaded on the system, I picked up compatibility issues with Panda Antivirus and Trusteer. Trusteer is for my Banking. So I tanked panda, and panda asked me for a restart, and I was first in Safe mode for about two weeks and eventually got into Safe-mode Directory repair. I normalized last night with a repair disc.

jwoods
    These are good resources to check for AV/AM software...

AV-Comparatives -

http://www.av-comparatives.org/

AV-TEST -

https://www.av-test.org/en/compare-m...esults/?avtest[type]=3

Virus Bulletin VB100 -

https://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/index

Make sure you have the latest versions of your security sofware, and that the definition files are up to date (should be done automatically).

When you have some time, run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (you mentioned you have Malwarebytes). Click on the Scan icon at the top and select Custom Scan. Click on Configure Scan. Check the box on the left Scan for rootkits, check the box for the drive or drives you want to scan and then click Scan Now.

Malwarebytes Custom Scan.jpg

It could take a while, so be patient.
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-12-01 at 15:39.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jwoods For This Useful Post:

avamy (2015-12-01)

Thanks
    Treesize will identify the files taking up the most space on your PC:
    http://jam-software.de/treesize_free/index.shtml

I would also download and run AdwCleaner:
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

Jerry

Thanks
    Right click on task bar at the bottom of desktop. Select task manager and click on process tab. Now you will see which is going to slow your system. Just stop it and uninstall that program. Best of luch

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Here you go avamy, you have yourself one heck of a good time:
    http://www.blackviper.com/

New Lounger
    Thanks
    According to your post, you are running multiple varieties of AV and IS programs concurrently. THAT is your biggest problem. What is happening is they are essentially 'fighting each other' for control of various ports and each performing tasks that the other does as well.

In my opinion, you should have one and only one trusted internet security product on your machine. All the rest should be gone. Due to what I deemed as excessive CPU utilization, I have moved through two of the 'big 3' internet security products and am quite satisfied with my current choice.

As far are removing the 'unremovable' security products on your computer, after going through the 'standard' control panel removal method, then it's time to reboot and come up in safe mode. Then go back to the control panel, administrative tools, and click 'services'. (I know there's a faster way there, but I do this so rarely my Medicare-age memory is slipping). Maximize that screen and maximize the columns (click and drag the 'divider lines' in the column headers) to reveal as much as practical of 'name' and 'description', while keeping 'startup type' on screen. Then browse through the list and find any that contain the names of the products and/or vendors you want 'gone' from your computer. Double-click (or right click) each of the undesired services and change startup type to 'disabled' and then 'apply'. (For what it's worth, the same methodology works in wiping out viruses in friends not-well-protected computers). When done, reboot again in safe mode.

NOW those products won't be starting up (I've encountered a couple of exceptions). So, now, review 'program files' and 'program files (x86)' in the root directory of your C: drive. Delete the folders that contain the name of the product or vendor you want gone. If you're a bit timid about deleting them, rename them by adding an -X to the name or some other change. Just last week, while cleaning some unwanted advertising & useless 'free' products off a friends laptop, the delete action on a couple of folders failed as some thing was 'in use by a program'. No problem. In each of those folders, delete what you can a couple of files at a time. If necessary, go into sub folders and delete all you can there. You'll end up with perhaps 1-3 files in 1-2 folders that can't be deleted. Simply rename them, THEN delete them! Windows 7 is rather dumb when it comes to that trick! Then, before you reboot, empty the recycle bin.

I've only encountered one instance of when the above technique has failed to wipe off a program. That was the PC based product that my former employer used to run applications on the remote server as if they were local on the PC that we used at work as well as at home (on call)...Citrix. Even a purchased 'registry cleaner' program that did quite well at removing 'leftovers' in the registry didn't get Citrix completely gone. I ended up manually searching and removing at least 500 registry entries that contained the name Citrix over the next hour or so. THAT got rid of it.

You'll also want to remove the 'freebie' software programs that get installed by the unwary when downloading a program you want. These days, it's rare to find online software, purchased and free, that doesn't attempt to download some kind of useless junk names like like 'bargain finder', 'PC speed up', 'super browser', 'download expert', etc. Be sure to use the control panel program removal method to get rid of that trash as well. Every now and then, it's necessary to resort to the 'services' screen/disable/then delete technique shown above to make them gone.
    Last edited by bratkinson; 2015-12-03 at 14:51.